Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Unusual Pokes (Spectrum Version)

Spider

See if you can guess what these two POKES will do:

POKE #8AB9,#B8

POKE #8ABA,#90

Conveyor or item collection related (not checked at this moment)

EDIT... No completely wrong. :) No what I was expecting...

BREAK = lose life as in 'abort/restart this room'

Edited by Spider

A couple of other comments on the above:

- It doesn't really help out if Willy gets stuck somewhere upon room entry (e.g. if he jumps off the top of one room and ends up embedded in a solid wall in the room above) - but scenarios such as those should really be eliminated by careful design of the game layout;

- The choice of entry point into the 'routine'* at #90B6 - the JUMP from #8AB8 has a destination of #90B8 - is deliberately different to the usual entry points of #90B7 or #90B8.  In this case, we are jumping straight from the Main Loop, not from a routine or subroutine, so there is no need to use any POP commands to clear the stack.

(* 'Routine' is in quotation marks here because it isn't technically a routine, since flow of execution never arrives there via a CALL.)

Edited by IRF

POKE #F4DB,#E1 - this moves the ramp in 'Back Stairway' one cell to the left.

As Willy walks down it, you might think he is about to move diagonally downwards to the room below and to the left (i.e. 'Tool Shed'). But in fact, he moves back up again as he crosses the horizontal edge of the room, ending up on the conveyor in 'Back Door'.

As Willy walks down it, you might think he is about to move diagonally downwards to the room below and to the left (i.e. 'Tool Shed'). But in fact, he moves back up again as he crosses the horizontal edge of the room, ending up on the conveyor in 'Back Door'.

POKE #F4DB , #E1 = POKE 62683 , 225 just posting that for easy adding via Emulation. :)

Works fine and the effect is as you say. It is a bit surprising somehow that happens :unsure:

There is a slight downside, climbing up Back Stairway, because of absent earth cells (I think that is the cause) due to the ramp being shifted leftwards, upon climbing he will initially 'fall back' from West Wing to Back Stairway, ending up next to the cells, a simple jump up is all that is required though, no issue. :thumbsup:

Edited by Spider

I did wonder what effect adding the "missing" air blocks back would do, leaving the ramp in its new position but I've not yet tried it out.

• 2 months later...