File Name: Manic Miner Updated
File Submitter: Spider
File Submitted: 01 Feb 2015
File Category: JSWMM ReleasesSystem: Sinclair
Original Author(s): Matthew Smith
Third Party Author(s): Andy Ford
We are pleased to release a mildly updated Spectrum version of Manic Miner.
1. The new loading screen I put together here has been used.
2. The code was again assembled using a 'real' speedlock loader for both its intended use (on a real machine) and for tape loading fanatics too. This is not intended as any form of 'protection' it is simply to cut down loading time from approx 3m15s to 2m30s. Only the game code is loaded rather than an emulator 'built' one as that would load all the memory which is not needed.
3. The game code was based on the Software Projects release rather than the more common Bug-Byte one, the reason for this was simply as the Software Projects release was later so it made more sense to base it on the 'last' code as such.
4. The 'typewriter' cheat was removed. The Software Projects version was "typewriter" instead of "6031769"
5. To make the game a bit more initially friendly, Willy starts with seven lives instead of three however:
6. There is no bonus life awarded every 10,000 points any more.
7. Minor detail: The scrolling message was slowed down a fraction so its more readable.
8. Minor detail: The scrolling message was altered very slightly to correct a few concerns:
. . . . . .Written by Matthew Smith ©83 SOFTWARE PROJECTS Ltd. . .Guide Miner Willy through 20 lethal caverns. . .Q,E,T,UorO=left. . .W,R,Y,IorP=right. . .SHIFT-SPACE =Jump. . .A pause. . .Bonus Life for each 10000 points. . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . .Written by Matthew Smith ©1983 SOFTWARE PROJECTS Ltd. . .Q,E,T,U or O=Left. . .W,R,Y,I or P=Right. . .Shift to Space=Jump. . .A,S,D,F or G=Pause. . .H,J,K,L or Enter=Tune On/Off. . .Guide Miner Willy through 20 lethal caverns. . . . .
In essence the changes are to capitalisation, spacing and the 'forgotten' pause keys.
Note: Load in 48K mode