Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Willy disassemblies in hexadecimal

SkoolKid

But good highways planning ensures that one-way streets don't enter cul de sacs!

And, similarly, with good planning Willy wouldn't *ever* get stuck because of the *feature* which allows him to walk left through blocks at head height *if* there was nothing else in his way which would stop him, such as an Earth block at leg height or a right conveyor (or a Fire cell, for example, or the top half of a guardian to block his way).

To say that "the fundamental reason he gets stuck is because a bug allows him to progress into Earth blocks, but only in one direction!" is certainly true, but it's not the whole truth. The whole truth is that if he progresses into Earth blocks, he gets stuck *if* something prevents him from going left until exiting these Earth blocks at head height.

It's the kind of question like about a man who fell into the water, couldn't swim and drowned.

If you say: "the reason he died is because he fell into the water", it's true, but it's not the whole truth.

If he fell into the water and could swim, he would get back to the shore and be safe.

So the real reason why he died is that he fell into the water AND he couldn't swim.

The same goes for Willy.

The reason he gets stuck is that he can progress through the Earth cells at head height only in one direction (to the left) AND something (unrelated to the "bug" itself) stops him from progressing to the left.

I would say it's bad planning in the design of the game engine - as admitted by Matt Smith himself (who admitted it was supposed to be symmetrical)!

Fortunately, I have now devised a bug fix which removes the asymmetry whilst allowing the original game to be completed AND retaining all those quirky features you know and love!!

Edited by IRF

It's just struck me that the Pokes section of the Manic Miner disassembly could do with a Poke that stops crumbly platforms from crumbling. Could that be achieved by NOPping out all the commands that call up the routine at 35770?

Regarding the above, the POKES could be applied in-game (e.g. in SPIN), as long as the player also had available the set of POKES that reverses the change to the game engine - which they can then insert whenever they encounter a screen that requires Willy to fall through a crumbly platform in order to complete it.

i.e. To turn Crumbly platforms OFF:

POKE 35618, 0

POKE 35619, 0

POKE 35620, 0

POKE 35638, 0

POKE 35639, 0

POKE 35640, 0

Then to turn Crumbly platforms back ON again:

POKE 35618, 204

POKE 35619, 186

POKE 35620, 139

POKE 35638, 204

POKE 35639, 186

POKE 35640, 139

Richard, would you consider the above to be two sets of six POKES, or one set of twelve (which would break your unofficial 'maximum ten POKES' rule)?

Edited by IRF

Wouldn't POKE 35770,201 turn crumbly platforms off? (And POKE 35770,77 would turn them back on?)

If we could bind this operation to a key in 10 POKEs or fewer, I'd consider including it!

I think you're right!

If you do include an entry for it, you should probably include a note warning the player of the potential pitfalls of using the former POKE alone (i.e. without 'dipping in and out' via the latter POKE, the game effectively becomes uncompletable!)

That way if someone loads up the game in the original hardware, and are unable to hack the code to reverse the change mid-game, then they have been forewarned!

Edited by IRF

• 2 weeks later...

I've just noticed that Richard has made quite a few updates to his Jet Set Willy disassembly, and also to his Manic Miner one.

Thanks for the credits, Richard - and also for the handy hint regarding the Solar Power Generator in MM!

One thing I just thought of for the next update - you mentioned that the Saw in Cuckoo's Nest only uses four of the eight available frames of animation.  However, there's also the 'disrespectful Monk' in The Chapel, who always faces away from the altar!

I've just noticed that Richard has made quite a few updates to his Jet Set Willy disassembly, and also to his Manic Miner one.

Thanks for the credits, Richard - and also for the handy hint regarding the Solar Power Generator in MM!

One thing I just thought of for the next update - you mentioned that the Saw in Cuckoo's Nest only uses four of the eight available frames of animation.  However, there's also the 'disrespectful Monk' in The Chapel, who always faces away from the altar!

And so the TODO list starts filling up again. :)

I've started a new thread in this forum to announce the disassembly updates, but it's still in moderation. Once it's accepted, let the comments and suggestions begin...