Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

The Attic Bug Seen In Action

Spider

The well known "attic bug" caused by invalid arrow data. By applying a couple of extra pokes in addition to the usual lives / fall height to remove some collision detection...

POKE 37982,0
POKE 37994,0

...its possible to carry on in a fashion as the game continues to deteriorate. :) Eventually it is likely to crash though. It does seem to vary each time as well depending on the route taken and how long sometimes you stay in a room. Its also required at some stage to alter the start room as the Bathroom can become an unsuitable start location due to fire cells:

POKE 34795.X

Where it all starts

attic1.jpg

Notice the nasty has gone from above Willy and is now making its way across from the bottom of the screen:

attic2.jpg

Its also moved here too:

attic3.jpg

Esmeralda (Esmerelda?) is also awol:

attic4.jpg

At this stage, the text for items collected starts to get corrupted as well. Notice the dancing mouse making its way right across the screen:

attic5.jpg

Bit of corruption here too:

attic6.jpg

One nasty gone from here although there is the occasional pixel flicker:

attic7.jpg

Both gone from here. Around this stage the ingame tune becomes corrupted slightly as well:

attic8.jpg

West Wing Roof does not look too good:

attic9.jpg

Chapel empty (as is immediately apparent when the attic bug is "initialised") no other apparent damage though:

attic10.jpg

Kitchen chefs, two are missing and one is moving horizontally:

attic11.jpg

Same here too, although one is making its way right off the screen to return on the far right soon:

attic12.jpg

Text message starting to get quite bad now:

attic13.jpg

More corruption inside the MegaTrunk:

attic14.jpg

Over The Drive does not look too bad if you ignore the flickering sprites:

attic15.jpg

Off Licence has gained a few more cells:

attic16.jpg

MegaTree is starting to look a bit unwell:

attic17.jpg

Bridge sprites have slightly changed and (usefully!) something has appeared to make Willy's bridge crossing a bit easier:

attic18.jpg

Too much wine ?

attic19.jpg

More Tree damage:

attic20.jpg

Bathroom has been "restyled":

attic21.jpg

Top landing is not looking brilliant either:

attic25.jpg

Willy's mansion is really starting to fall apart now:

attic23.jpg

Stuff of (bug) nightmares:

attic24.jpg

The attic is in full swing:

attic26.gif

Halfway up the corrupted wall:

attic27.jpg

Chapel guardian visiting Cuckoo's Nest:

attic28.jpg

Dr Jones may not believe it, although I would:

attic29.gif

Even room 47 (the unused "[" room) is effected:

attic30.gif

West Bedroom looks decidedly uncomfortable:

attic31.jpg

The Yacht:

attic33.jpg

The Bow:

attic32.gif

Tool Shed:

attic34.jpg

Above The West Bedroom:

attic35.gif

Back Stairway is broken:

attic36.jpg

Well, Maria has gone but there's too many fire cells (the pillow) for that to be any comfort:

attic37.jpg

Conservatory Roof has seen better days:

attic38.jpg

To the kitchens is quite interesting, its almost normal. Note the three fire cells to make it difficult to jump across:

attic39.jpg

Security has deteriorated further, compare to earlier screenshot:

attic41.jpg

Messy underground:

attic42.jpg

Tree roots have spread a bit:

attic43.jpg

Generator is broken:

attic44.jpg

A bit of (bugs)

attic45.jpg

Watch Tower:

attic46.jpg

Top of house is quite messy:

attic47.gif

West Wing:

attic48.gif

West Wing Roof, an excess of fire cells. Compare to earlier screenshot:

attic49.gif

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the screenshots. I didn't realise how messy the game would get the longer you play with the Attic Bug doing its magic.

The corruption will vary a bit depending on what rooms you visit and in some cases how long you stay in them. For 'best' effect hang around in 'Inside the MegaTrunk' and 'West of Kitchen' :)

• 6 months later...

During my early days playing this i used to think the Attic bug actually started in the kitchens because for me it always seemed to be the first room affected. Some kid at school came up with a theory in that, possibly on the count of them going missing from the kitchen the chefs were supposedly upset at being disturbed and would cause havoc all round the house by way of revenge... I reckon if Matthew Smith heard that one he would possibly have got away with it...

Edited by Metalmickey

During my early days playing this i used to think the Attic bug actually started in the kitchens because for me it always seemed to be the first room affected. Some kid at school came up with a theory in that, possibly on the count of them going missing from the kitchen the chefs were supposedly upset at being disturbed and would cause havoc all round the house by way of revenge... I reckon if Matthew Smith heard that one he would possibly have got away with it...

:lol: Well I may have to agree.

From what I can remember we used to realise it was "going funny" as The Chapel was empty.

a few years back i had a go at completing the pre-production version with all but one of the official pokes and left the Attic bug in place just to see if it could be done, it does seem possible but you have to 'cheat' a bit by using one of Matthew's unintended easter eggs, i'll post an RZX in the speccy archive later if they're interested in looking at it

Edited by Metalmickey

• 2 months later...

Of course what these screenshots don't show is the increasingly erratic behaviour of the sprites which start to change orientation going sideways instead of up and down or vice versa .. and even diagonal, eventually they completely freak out and jump all over the screen, also try entering a 'rope' room such as the swimming pool, during the advanced stages of bugginess Willy gets completely snagged in the rope and it's nigh on impossible to escape the room, yet in spite of all the carnage the game engine itself remains functional, try as i might i have not yet got it to completely lock up or reset

Yes it can get very um 'wild' :D

You can end up with things like the static chandelier moving about.

Regarding the lockup: Once its started visit the Kitchen screens, either will do. Stay on it for about 30 seconds, enough time for the 'Chef's to move across and back. Now head to 'Under the MegaTree'. Climb the tree to 'Inside the MegaTrunk'

This screen will really set it off. Watch the room description / time / item counter start to go a bit odd as it starts to get out of place and 'count' other characters. The in game tune will also fall apart around this time too.

Quick method is just to go to 'Inside the MegaTrunk' and stay there for a minute but visiting the Kitchen first usually helps, also Quirkafleeg can do it, generally any room where the sprite pattern is now well out such as moving horizontally instead of vertically (Kitchen etc) can 'trigger' it.

Once you've finished just move around a few more screens too.

I'd suggest it was the 'exit to the ballroom' easter egg ? As that seems a sensible way to avoid certain screens.

Actually i considered this to be more of bug, the easter egg i'm referring to is the built in 'WRITETYPER' cheat  :) only used to bypass the Attic which i thought might be acceptable as there's no items to collect in there

Edited by Metalmickey