Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Jet Set Willy: The Nightmare Edition

Spider

Thanks for your feedback, Metalmickey!

What emulator are you using? I have tried to check the quirk you mention in that collecting an item leaves the border at a different colour until Willy jumps. However, I don't see it happen either in Spin or in Spectaculator!  :unsure:

i'm using Spectaculator version 8, it seems to be linked with sound as it occurs with the in-game music turned off and changes back as soon as any noise is made ie losing a life or jumping so this would mean that you wouldn't see it if Willy is in mid air when collecting an item. If you want i can post an RZX so you can see what i'm going on about   :)

Edited by Metalmickey

That would explain why I noticed it happen when I collected the Bathroom tap, but then when I restarted the game and repeated the same action it didn't re-occur.

I was playing with my PC on mute, so the in-game music must have been off first time round then when I restarted, the music would have come back on but I didn't notice!

i'm using Spectaculator version 8, it seems to be linked with sound as it occurs with the in-game music turned off and changes back as soon as any noise is made ie losing a life or jumping so this would mean that you wouldn't see it if Willy is in mid air when collecting an item. If you want i can post an RZX so you can see what i'm going on about   :)

Please post an RZX.

It's interesting. I tried it on Spectaculator 7 (I have 8 as well, but I prefer the display in 7) and I *think* I tried it with the music off and without jumping and still didn't notice it. Having said that, my test may have been not comprehensive enough (I also tried it on Spin and I couldn't guarantee right now that I tried all the possible options [music on jumping, music off jumping, music on non-jumping, music off non-jumping, etc.] on *both* emulators).

Please post an RZX.

It's interesting. I tried it on Spectaculator 7 (I have 8 as well, but I prefer the display in 7) and I *think* I tried it with the music off and without jumping and still didn't notice it. Having said that, my test may have been not comprehensive enough (I also tried it on Spin and I couldn't guarantee right now that I tried all the possible options [music on jumping, music off jumping, music on non-jumping, music off non-jumping, etc.] on *both* emulators).

As requested, here's my latest somewhat futile attempt at solving Willy's nightmare complete with border quirk, notice it happens in the Bathroom, Chapel and East Wall Base

Using Spectaculator 8 as mentioned. 

Try walking to an item like the bathroom tap with the music off without jumping to it

I have only got an old version of Spin from 2007, only plays for a second or two then stops working. Tried downloading a new version from WOS but they seem to have blocked access to their FTP servers for some reason ... or maybe it's just my dodgy browser

Untitled3.rzx

Edited by Metalmickey

Those are basically rooms where items can be collected by walking into them, without jumping.  If Willy has to jump to collect an item (such as in First Landing), or fall onto an item to collect it (such as in Under the Roof), then the game makes a sound in the process, and so the border change doesn't happen.

In cases where the border does change colour, it reverts back to its 'correct' colour as soon as Willy jumps or falls, or passes through a Teleporter - or an arrow sets off with the warning noise, or Willy dies, or the music is turned back on - anything that makes a sound basically (except for collecting another item!)

Why this happens remains a mystery!

Edited by IRF

Those are basically rooms where items can be collected by walking into them, without jumping.  If Willy has to jump to collect an item (such as in First Landing), or fall onto an item to collect (such as in Under the Roof), then the game makes a sound in the process, and so the border change doesn't happen.

In cases where the border does change colour, it revert back to its 'correct' colour as soon as Willy jumps or falls, or passes through a Teleporter - or an arrow sets off with the warning noise, or Willy dies, or the music is turned back on - anything that makes a sound basically (except for collecting another item!)

Why this happens remains a mystery!

That's right, as i mentioned, it seems to be linked with any routine that would generate sound output or of course entering another room which changes the border colour anyway. I have virtually zero knowledge of assembly language or machine code at the mo but the skoolkit disassembly of the original version has provided a really good insight into what goes into the game programming wise so i am hoping to educate myself one day!

Edited by Metalmickey

I can't download the attachment as its not actually 'here' anymore. Can you edit / re-attach it please ? :) Just click 'attach files' and upload it. It looks like (guess) you are using the legacy non flash uploader and chose the file name but did not click upload itself. The flash uploader will auto upload if you click and select files. You do need new flash as your browser will block outdated versions.

Regarding Spin from WOS: You just need to change ftp to http

http://worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/emulators/pc/windows/zxspin0.666.zip

Will work fine. Just re-tested it myself.