Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

'Guardian Aura' Bug Fix and miscellaneous other patches

IRF

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned above, I have applied the fix in the Special Edition of "Willy's New Mansion".

I decided to make use of the spare byte which emerged after the mode modifications. In order to do that, I did the following:

The 'new' code is from #9BD2 to #9BE9 (for reasons related to the code distribution in "WNM SE") and it goes like this:7e e6 38 c2 f2 91 dd 7e 01 e6 0f c6 38 e6 47 4f 7e e6 38 a9 4f c3 fd 91The existing code at #91EE to #91FC has been edited as follows:c3 d2 9b 00 dd 7e 01 e6 07 4f 7e e6 78 a9 4f

Therefore, I believe that thanks to the change in the C2 instruction in the 'new' code the spare byte, currently placed at #91F1, is omitted by the whole routine and can be safely used for other purposes (I have moved the music flags there from 85E2).

Danny, I believe you have placed the Music Note Index from 85E1 there, NOT the Music Flags from 85E2.

It might be worth bearing in mind for the readme.

Thanks for your comment, Ian. In fact, I must have made a mistake when posting the message, or perhaps it was correct at the time and then got changes, because I currently have in the Readme:

91F1 In-game music note index (moved from 85E1).

(...)

9BFF Music flags (moved from 85E2).

So everything is fine, I believe.

However, I appreciate your insight and your comment  :) .

On an unrelated note: looking at the title of this thread this morning, , I think it may be the best description of the phenomenon, after all: 'Guardian Halo/Shadow' Bug Fix'. Halo and Shadow are two words, but between the two of them they are all-inclusive and they are a perfect description of the nature of the phenomenon...

On an unrelated note: looking at the title of this thread this morning, , I think it may be the best description of the phenomenon, after all: 'Guardian Halo/Shadow' Bug Fix'. Halo and Shadow are two words, but between the two of them they are all-inclusive and they are a perfect description of the nature of the phenomenon...

I've sought a third opinion (in a PM) from Richard/SkoolKid on the 'Guardian Aura' option (because he's preparing updates to his disassembly which may include a reference to it).  'Guardian Halo/Shadow' is a bit wordy, although I agree it encapsulates the phenomenon well.

Edited by IRF

I'm not sure about 'aura', because an aura is usually depicted as brighter than the surroundings (like a halo). If there is a generic name for a field of differing brightness around a body, I'm not aware of it.

'Guardian Brightness Bug' would be more accurate, but also less interesting.

I'm not sure about 'aura', because an aura is usually depicted as brighter than the surroundings (like a halo). If there is a generic name for a field of differing brightness around a body, I'm not aware of it.

'Guardian Brightness Bug' would be more accurate, but also less interesting.

There is another definition of aura which has a 'darker' connotation: "a warning sensation experienced before an attack of epilepsy or migraine."

Most instances of the bug (certainly all instances in original JSW) do tend to be a Bright field on non-Bright background cells, so the 'aura' is usually Bright.

Googling 'dark aura' threw up this!:

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Darkness_Aura

On the whole, aura seems more generic (or perhaps that should read less specific) than either halo or shadow.

'Guardian Halow Bug'? :huh:

I did consider 'Guardian Brightness Bug' too, but I agree it's less interesting.

Edited by IRF

There is another definition of aura which has a 'darker' connotation: "a warning sensation experienced before an attack of epilepsy or migraine."

The connotation of this definition may be "darker" in the sense that's it's an unwelcome, undesired effect, but it's not darker physically at all - quite to the contrary, it apparently has to do with light again, as these definitions attest:

Pathology. a sensation, as of lights or a current of warm or cold air, preceding an attack of migraine or epilepsy.

Medicine A sensation, as of a cold breeze or a bright light, that precedes the onset of certain disorders, such as anepileptic seizure or an attack of migraine.

a subjective sensation (as of lights) experienced before an attack of some disorders (as epilepsy or a migraine).

Other options:

'Guardian Corona' - that's probably once again more specific to a brighter effect, though.

'Guardian Aureole'?

Definitions of Aureole:

1. "a circle of light or brightness surrounding something, especially as depicted in art around the head or body of a person represented as holy." - i.e. Brighter than the host medium.

2. "another term for areola (that being the pigmented skin surrounding a nipple)." - Definitely denotes a darker shade in this case!

3. "[GEOLOGY] the zone of metamorphosed rock surrounding an igneous intrusion." - This can appear as either brighter or darker I believe, depending on the mineral content of the host rock before and after being metamorphosed.

I think I've got to the nub of the answer! (Excuse the anatomical pun!)

Edited by IRF