Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW 2 Amiga

Dumb Waiter

What was peoples opinions of this version back then,I remember being surprised to see it on the Amiga but not really being that impressed. I think it just looked so different to what I was used too,nothing wrong with the graphical improvements and it was expected but it just was not JSW as I knew it.

Did anybody complete it?

https://youtu.be/7YXFt-nMh7M

I remember it being 'scrolly' rather than 'room to room' :)

I think another version is like that too, possibly the Archimedes one :unsure:

I do have it somewhere so I may have to try it again to refresh my memory on this. I seem to recall it was not "quite right" with regards to the jump movement but I could be completely wrong here and thinking of a different version...

I was overjoyed when I found out there was a JSW on the Amiga. Our C64 had expired a few years before, so I hadn't played the game in a long time. There were aspects to it I didn't like - like the fact that it relied on a universal tileset rather than each area having its distinct qualities and monsters having variable colours - but by and large it was fun. And it had the best title music of any JSW game, and yes I am including Rob Hubbard's in that. In-game theme was a little underwhelming, mind

One thing that I found weirdly pleasurable with this version is that, with no room entrance to start from, it favoured the more conventional approach that, on enemy collision, you would restart where you died but with momentary invincibility. A perverse mind such as mine could, for example, walk Willy straight through the flying saucer blocking the right-hand exist in Shuttle Bay and fall for an awkwardly long time, long past any actual game map. Actually you could do that trick at both ends of the ship; I seem to recall the left-hand side (wherever I was dropping from) would eventually see me crash down on an endless grey surface with a spurious foot resting on it

I am pretty sure I've completed this game using a cracked version, and I THINK it might repeat the old "Oh $#!+ The Central Cavern!" trick, but I've forgotten

Having fired it up just now, I agree there are some weird issues with Willy's movement and collision detection, especially with staircases. Dropping down onto one causes him to land a short distance above it - walking "up" the staircase will mean walking horizontally until he hits the correct point of connection and resumes walking diagonally; walking down, he'll remain oddly elevated until he hits the end of the staircase and drops the last half-square

• 1 month later...

As we can see with most conversions, it's a little more forgiving when it comes to collision .. which can be a good thing depending on how you look at it, the programmer has worked hard to try and keep to the original theme where possible though i think he could have improved in the rope animation somewhat

oh and I think Willy looks a bit like Paddington Bear...

Edited by Metalmickey

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

In the evaluation of the game, they had a category called "Lastability". That's, as I understand, "the degree to which something will last or endure". They gave the game 69% in this category. 

It's interesting to look at it almost 40 years later. Was that a correct evaluation?

As for "Jet Set Willy" itself, I would give it 100% (provided you cannot go above 100% 🙂).

As for the Amiga version - I don't know, I've never had direct experience with this platform...