Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

Apparently this happens because frames 1 and 3 of the rightward animation are always used, and in the case of Willy they are exactly the same as far as graphics go (only moved within the 16-per-16-pixels sprite space), while in the case of the flying pig they are visibly different (wings up - wings down).

So I guess you're right that Willy's running ability could be improved, although I couldn't suggest an exact solution at this moment.

Whilst messing about with the DEFB value that changes the game status at  34271 i've noticed something odd.

As we all know, on completion and during his toilet dash his animation is limited so it looks like he's skidding or skating as his legs appear to be still, i'm guessing this is because the game code skips every other animation frame in order to double his speed .. but look what happens when we set DEFB to 2 (34271,2) whilst in the Nightmare room. Willy still travels at double the speed but his animation as a winged pig seems not to be affected by the frame skips... at least not in the same way ... his animation still only seems to be of 4 frames here so i'm wondering now if i can somehow improve his running ability when he is his normal self

I did read this but it did not quite "sink in" at the time. I have just watched the .rzx as I downloaded it at the time then had to go and sort something else out.

Anyway I see what you mean about the 'pig frames' vs 'willy frames' now. How odd as they are both 4 'each way' as such. There is code to force the sprite change in that room and a random guess would be as that is likely being checked constantly (otherwise he'd change sprite during play when you moved) then it is likely just overriding it.

The 'fast time' when in the toilet is also appreciated too. :)

I note that 'break' does not work actually *during* the 'dash' either, another useful change. The original does (I just tried this, do not recall ever having tried that before)

Apparently this happens because frames 1 and 3 of the rightward animation are always used, and in the case of Willy they are exactly the same as far as graphics go (only moved within the 16-per-16-pixels sprite space), while in the case of the flying pig they are visibly different (wings up - wings down).

So I guess you're right that Willy's running ability could be improved, although I couldn't suggest an exact solution at this moment.

Danny's right, the protagonist is still only drawn using two of the four available sprite-frames if he is running for the toilet whilst in The Nightmare Room, although those two sprite-frames look more distinctive than the two Willy ones that are normally used during that stage in the game (which are identical except for being horizontally shifted).

Edited by IRF

See i think this is another type of bug, i guess if i was to resolve it, i would use the alternate frames where Willy's legs are completely together and fully apart, might make him look a bit like Mr Benn but i still think it would be an improvement .. i'm going to try an experiment...

This is controlled by the code at #8A00 to #8A0A.  I think I played around with that part of the code when I was attempting to laterally-invert the toilet dash for 'Jet Set Mini'.

If I recall correctly, I managed to get the code to use the other two of Willy's frames (legs together and legs wide apart), but then he wouldn't progress past a cell-column boundary so he got stuck on the spot!

I haven't tried this, but I believe the way to get this to work would be to relocate #8A00-#8A0A to sit in between the commands at #89D6 and #89D9 in the Main Loop. i.e. after Willy has been moved, but before he is drawn.

(Of course, that wouldn't fit in situ within the available space unless you did a lot of code-shifting, so you would have to CALL a subroutine, probably by displacing the three-byte command at #89D9, and then reinstating the command from #89D9 at the end of the subroutine, just before the RET.  And of course, NOP out the existing code from #8A00-#8A0A.)

Mickey, I've just spotted a minor bug in the JSW 'Game Over' routine - the 'AND #FA' at #8CAF should be replaced with 'AND #F8'.

This doesn't affect the original game, it's more of a 'game engine' fix, but it allows a full range of INK colour choices for the Barrel on the Game Over screen.  With the AND #FA in place, the choice of INK colour for the Foot/Willy can restrict the possible colours for the Barrel.

Edited by IRF

Slightly unrelated but I had an opposite issue actually as I wanted to restrict it but keep the sprites the correct colour, after some changes to the code it still would not play nice (in that case) until I changed AND to ADD ( ! ) then it did exactly what I needed. Idea to try that came from the 'moving room' data where ADD is needed to get it to work properly...

On topic, how are things going now Metalmickey with progress ? :)