Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

Well i haven't been able to regenerate the error with the item being buried in the hall so i guess it must have been a glitch or maybe i messed up a bit somewhere.

I'm making steady progress but i'm a bit puzzled as to why i cannot use the remaining 256 bytes of memory to re-do room 63 .. seems like you managed to do this in TNE? 

I thought it was all unused code that lived there but whenever i alter the last part of this code the game becomes corrupt. I thought it might be the emulator but even my little rubber-keyed friend doesn't like it

If yuo've not used the last three for anything ( ! ) , you can try this. Note: Not really tested this. Use a copy of your file not the real one. Save the current JSWED one as a .tap if you've been using snapshots (.z80 / .sna)

1. Drop to Basic and issue a CLEAR 28000

2. Load in your JSW saved code : LOAD"" CODE

3. Load in this file (via LOAD"" CODE)

last3fix.tap

Note: Load your code first then that after. :)

4. Save it all in the emulator. Choose in the emulator to save (use a new tap file ideally)

5. SAVE "JSW" CODE 32768,32678

6. Fire up JSWED. Load in the 'new' saved .tap file. Any better ?

I can automate this if you want, I just did this quickly. The 'last 3' rooms are now defined as completely blank, no guardians, no title and no exits (well no valid ones)

Hopefully that may help. I can do a binary file or an automated version if you prefer, possibily just a Basic program to run. I thought about copying 47 to the last three actually instead but hmm.

Have you used the memory there for a bug fix?

No i wasn't aware that there was a fix available, all i had done at this stage was to grab an original untouched post-production version, put in a few corrective POKEs just to clear away a few bugs (Arrow in The Attic, maximum rope height etc) plus the ones to skip the code entry screen then save it as a .TAP file, then i just ran JSWED and edited rooms 61 and 62 which, when i played the game after it ran fine, then i tried to make up room 63 then the game seemed to become corrupt. It's almost as though there is something in that TR DOS code that the game needs to function correctly

If yuo've not used the last three for anything ( ! ) , you can try this. Note: Not really tested this. Use a copy of your file not the real one. Save the current JSWED one as a .tap if you've been using snapshots (.z80 / .sna)

1. Drop to Basic and issue a CLEAR 28000

2. Load in your JSW saved code : LOAD"" CODE

3. Load in this file (via LOAD"" CODE)

http://jswmm.co.uk/public/style_images/master/attachicon.giflast3fix.tap

Note: Load your code first then that after. :)

4. Save it all in the emulator. Choose in the emulator to save (use a new tap file ideally)

5. SAVE "JSW" CODE 32768,32678

6. Fire up JSWED. Load in the 'new' saved .tap file. Any better ?

I can automate this if you want, I just did this quickly. The 'last 3' rooms are now defined as completely blank, no guardians, no title and no exits (well no valid ones)

Hopefully that may help. I can do a binary file or an automated version if you prefer, possibily just a Basic program to run. I thought about copying 47 to the last three actually instead but hmm.

Thanks for your help .. not quite having the desired effect. I originally thought it was because the code remnants were affecting the game engine so i tried NOPping out the last 768 bytes of RAM after loading the code .. but this just had the effect of causing rampant corruption as soon as we go past 'Press Enter to Start'. So then i just replaced the last 256 bytes with the original code and the game was once again playable (as if i know what i'm doing :blink: ) .. the effect is slightly different in the pre-production version, i can actually see The Bathroom but then it all goes a bit askew from Top Landing onwards

Edited by Metalmickey

Have you used the memory there for a bug fix?

I wondered if you had something like the 'bad Pause-Bug fix' in place. See here for info:

http://www.oocities.org/andrewbroad/spectrum/willy/bugs.html#pause_bug

Or the Cell-Graphic bug fix provided by Skoolkit also uses addresses in Room 63's range:

http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/reference/bugs.html#corruptedConveyors

Edited by IRF

I wondered if you had something like the 'bad Pause-Bug fix' in place. See here for info:

http://www.oocities.org/andrewbroad/spectrum/willy/bugs.html#pause_bug

Or the Cell-Graphic bug fix provided by Skoolkit also uses addresses in Room 63's range:

http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/reference/bugs.html#corruptedConveyors

A few months ago i looked at the 'Cell Graphics' thread .. i didn't really understand what it was, only that it was referring to things like the corrupt conveyor in 'The Nightmare Room' .. i put in all the pokes because i thought it might perhaps bring some notable improvements to the game. But when i loaded the game it just seemed to have the effect of corrupting the graphics system within the game, that's if it ran at all. I decided that i was probably trying to fix something that wasn't broken and abandoned the idea in the end. 

A few months ago i looked at the 'Cell Graphics' thread .. i didn't really understand what it was, only that it was referring to things like the corrupt conveyor in 'The Nightmare Room' .. i put in all the pokes because i thought it might perhaps bring some notable improvements to the game. But when i loaded the game it just seemed to have the effect of corrupting the graphics system within the game, that's if it ran at all. I decided that i was probably trying to fix something that wasn't broken and abandoned the idea in the end. 

I don't suppose you left some of the POKES in place after your abandoned attempt?  It might explain why overwriting the code at Room 63 causes problems.

As long as its working.

Nopping out the last 768 bytes does work but you end up with odd effects, hence I tend to use that code above as its plain empty rooms undefined. :)

No not working at least not for me, i don't know whether it's my particular version. Rooms 61 and 62 can be edited without causing any problems, it's just that last section of code that seems to be the problem .. i see in TNE, WNM and in a few other remakes this issue has been resolved .. i'll have to work out how you did it  ;)