Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

If you're having out of memory errors **before** loading any code (ideally before anything else!) do a CLEAR 28000 or you can try 32000 if you want.

Basically, anything above that is 'reserved' for code so your Basic listing will not grow to overwrite it. If for instance you set it to 40000, loaded JSW then loaded a huge Basic program you'd potentially overwrite some of the JSW code.

When its running however (JSW) it will use lower memory so your Basic may be 'eaten' but unless you have set JSW to drop back out to Basic this should not be an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

OK Room 63 problem solved, just about finished building the last room, now just need to correct the time bug changing to PM at 12 noon, also making sure the game ends at midnight.

Does anyone think that the clock should have posed more of a challenge? If i 'Sped up time' perhaps not quite as extreme as TNE would that still be the spirit of the manufacturers original intentions?

I'd agree its very unlikely you would run out of time. :)

I had a vague idea of starting the time at say 9am instead (which is still sensible) but that still does not pose that great a challenge.

You do not want to end up in a 'Tech Ted'** type time situation though where its absolutely critical.

*** The time on this means that the player must be fast and accurate all the way through, the sequel was not quite as demanding IIRC regarding time limits.

I have an idea as to how long the timer should run for, i also feel that we should stick with the 7am start and 12 midnight finish as i fell that this was intended .. however, all i'm looking for at this stage is how to get the am to change to pm at the appropriate time .. less important is the pm to am at the other end as the game will of course have ended at that point although i would rather the game didn't run on until 1pm..?? :wacko: .. if there is a thread i've not looked at then please point me in the right direction..  

if i'm feeling clever   :huh: i might just make the clock count down 10 mins at a time...

Edited by Metalmickey

Yeah, it was kind of a tongue in cheek nod to the (lack of) pm to am change at midnight bug    ;)

I suppose to have truly fixed the clock properly, the display should change from 11:59pm to 12:00am (i.e. midnight) just as the foot is coming down to squish Willy on the Game Over screen.

Edited by IRF

I've not seen a fix for the am/pm bug.  It's something which I thought I might have a go at some day, but I haven't got round to yet. :blush:

Andrew Broad fixed it in a sense, by introducing a 24-hour clock.  However, I'm not sure that fits in thematically with Willy's creaky old mansion!  :ph34r:

I have a couple of other suggestions, if they're not too late... :mellow:

In terms of 'As Manufacturer Intended', have you fixed the bug which causes the asymmetry in Willy's horizontal movement?  I recall reading an interview with Matthew Smith, in which he said that Willy's movement in JSW was meant to be symmetrical (as it is in Manic Miner).  So fixing that would seem to fit the bill of 'as manufacturer intended'.  :huh:

You'd have to be careful not to end up making some of the jumps in the likes of The Wine Cellar impossible though. :excl:  I came up with a 'hybrid' fix that provides the best of both words, although I haven't got round to disassembling it yet (yet another thing on my 'to do' list!)

EDIT: Here's a link, if you're interested:  :)

http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/196-dont-mind-your-head-while-walking-left-bug-fix-for-jsw/?p=3999

Final query: what did you do to fix the Conservatory Roof bug (i.e. the uncollectable item)?  The 'official' fix* simply removed a Fire cell, but it still left another item requiring a 'kamikaze' manoeuvre to collect it. :o   Andy (Spider) devised a good fix which resolved that from a 'gameplay' perspective, but it involved separating the Fire cells and items from each other.  :unsure:

I take the view that, from a visual point of view, the Fire cells and items in Conservatory Roof should all be paired up (as per my profile pic!)  To my eye, each little 'gremlin' is clutching a beer bottle (with a black label on it) - their left arm is wrapped around the bottle as part of the item graphic (whilst they're swinging from the roof structure with their right arm) - and they appear to have drunken grins on their faces!   :P

I eventually came up with a layout that gives all four items an accompanying nasty, yet which allows them all to be collected without losing a life!  There's a screenshot of my suggested layout in the pertinent topic.   ;)

* In relation to the 'official' fixes, they were only 'official' in the sense that Software Projects took the POKES that the first people to complete the game came up with (to enable them to do so), and then released them retrospectively to the wider public.  So I don't give them that much credence really - particularly the one that relocates the invisible, unreachable item from First Landing to The Hall, without even bothering to make it visible!  :blink:

Edited by IRF