Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW As Manufacturer (probably) intended .. kind of...

Metalmickey

I've not seen a fix for the am/pm bug.  It's something which I thought I might have a go at some day, but I haven't got round to yet. :blush:

Andrew Broad fixed it in a sense, by introducing a 24-hour clock.  However, I'm not sure that fits in thematically with Willy's creaky old mansion!  :ph34r:

I do not recall immediately seeing that, I've seen the G/Mode one where it is a counter in effect. :unsure:

* In relation to the 'official' fixes, they were only 'official' in the sense that Software Projects took the POKES that the first people to complete the game came up with (to enable them to do so), and then released them retrospectively to the wider public. So I don't give them that much credence really - particularly the one that relocates the invisible, unreachable item from First Landing to The Hall, without even bothering to make it visible! :blink:

I did provide a method to fix that :) The nearest (suitable?) floating shape is the one in West Wing Roof and its only four bytes. Can either be copied via JSWED, Basic or Assembly or just apply four pokes. :)

I've not seen a fix for the am/pm bug.  It's something which I thought I might have a go at some day, but I haven't got round to yet. :blush:

Andrew Broad fixed it in a sense, by introducing a 24-hour clock.  However, I'm not sure that fits in thematically with Willy's creaky old mansion!  :ph34r:

Still working on this one, looking at the code it doesn't seem very straightforward, particularly with my lack of coding knowledge 

I have a couple of other suggestions, if they're not too late... :mellow:

In terms of 'As Manufacturer Intended', have you fixed the bug which causes the asymmetry in Willy's horizontal movement?  I recall reading an interview with Matthew Smith, in which he said that Willy's movement in JSW was meant to be symmetrical (as it is in Manic Miner).  So fixing that would seem to fit the bill of 'as manufacturer intended'.  :huh:

You'd have to be careful not to end up making some of the jumps in the likes of The Wine Cellar impossible though. :excl:  I came up with a 'hybrid' fix that provides the best of both words, although I haven't got round to disassembling it yet (yet another thing on my 'to do' list!)

EDIT: Here's a link, if you're interested:  :)

http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/196-dont-mind-your-head-while-walking-left-bug-fix-for-jsw/?p=3999

i did look into fixing this one at first i figured that it's more trouble than it's worth since there's very areas of the game where this has any significant effect but looking into it a bit more i can also see how the jumping animation is affected so i'm trying to apply the fix now

Edited by Metalmickey

With regards to the Conservatory Roof i've taken the view that it was something of an unfinished room and that there could perhaps be more missing features than just the conveyor graphics

inspired by the topic showing the alternative layouts i've come up an idea of my own, though some might consider it questionable as to whether Smith intended to create the room in this way, all will be revealed in due course ;)

Edited by Metalmickey

Here's a few alternatives that i thought about before i settled on my final solution

post-109-0-08752200-1484257514_thumb.jpg

My first attempt at fixing the conveyor .. and a bit of a botched alternative to the 'official' JSW solution

post-109-0-76703200-1484257514_thumb.jpg

same as before, removed the firecell at the end as i mistakenly thought it was still making the items uncollectible

post-109-0-38899000-1484257515_thumb.jpg

considered this option as i thought it was the tidiest but decided against it as it removed too much challenge element

post-109-0-92356300-1484257515_thumb.jpg

nearly settled for this one but thought i was just deviating from the original layout too much

i did look into fixing this one at first i figured that it's more trouble than it's worth since there's very areas of the game where this has any significant effect but looking into it a bit more i can also see how the jumping animation is affected so i'm trying to apply the fix now

Please see the attached file, in which I've applied my patches that:

- Allow the program to detect an Earth cell to the left of Willy's head when he is walking (but not when he is jumping);

- Suppress the detection of an Earth cell to the right of Willy's head when he is jumping (but it is still picked up when he's walking).

Some credit goes to Dr Andrew Broad for helping to devise the concept for this hybrid solution, which provides the 'best of both worlds' because it:

- Fixes the asymmetry in Willy's walking behaviour;

- Prevents Willy from getting stuck forever in clusters of Earth cells (e.g. inside the elephant's head in Dr Jones), or in other situations (such as if he exits Forgotten Abbey in a certain way: http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/reference/bugs.html#stuckInTheWall );

- Retains the quirky behaviour when Willy jumps leftwards (which is necessary to allow him to navigate around The Wine Cellar, and to return along the top platform of Ballroom East);

- Introduces the same quirky jumping behaviour when Willy leaps rightwards (for example, he can now exit from Emergency Generator to the Priest's Hole by jumping from the right-hand stack - although he can't progress any further than that, so it doesn't facilitate a sneaky shortcut down the East Wall!)

I've tried to optimise the patches a bit (although more efficiencies could probably be found!)

The code changes are as follows.  I've suggested that the new code could occupy the spare addresses at #9700 to #972B, but you may need to change that [and therefore the bytes highlighted in bold] if you've already used those locations for other patches:

Moving Left

#9032    C3 00 97

#9700    B7

ED 52

3A D1 85

FE 01

20 06

3A D5 85

B7

20 05

3A B2 80

BE

C8

C3 35 90

Moving Right

#90A1   B7

ED 52

#90A4   C3 18 97

#9718    3A D1 85

FE 01

20 07

3A D5 85

B7

C2 A9 90

3A B2 80

C3 A7 90

The new patch ends at #972B.

On a separate matter Mickey, did you fix the conveyor (and ramp) in The Nightmare Room in your project?:

http://skoolkid.github.io/jetsetwilly/reference/bugs.html#veryCorruptedConveyor

The fix described in the above link goes further than the Cell-Graphics Bug patch.  Stuart Brady and I share the credit for spotting this glitch.  (Actually, if you apply the fix - which involves shifting a few bytes back in the code by one byte - then the Cell-Graphics Bug in this particular room is fixed even if the CGB fix isn't in place!)

Earth cell symmetry restored.TAP

Edited by IRF

Also, i wonder if there was a fix to remove guardian 'halo' in the blue rooms without making them non-bright

Did you have any luck with this one in the end?  I can provide a few pointers if necessary. :)

(I've just realised that the area of code which I previously suggested for this fix, overlaps with the addresses that I put forward last night for the head-height Earth cell patch! :blush: )

EDIT: This might help:

http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/184-guardian-aura-bug-fix/?do=findComment&comment=5587

Edited by IRF