Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW 2 - The Secret Lab

Spider

Posted here with kind permission from the JSW2 group on FB.

Four pictures showing the historical redevelopment of this very old underground cavern.

The first picture shows what the Lab looked like after its discovery from 31 years of burial underground.

The second picture (top right) show the lab after the developers decided it needed jazzing up to meet the needs and hopes of todays generation .

Version 3 (bottom left) was what the lab looked like after a lobby of bohemian joystick wigglers demanded and got a review of the new design. Under much duress the developers relented and fearful their project might fall flat on its face. A design consultant from Germany was brought in and screen 3 is the result.

Screen 4 (bottom right) was a multi consultation between the joystick wigglers, the designers (plus builders) and the overall design consultant.

None of these had any say, as the final say was left to a health and safety guru. Who originally called for the lot to be demolished, but after a payment of

jsw2plus_secret_lab.jpg

It wouldn't be totally unfeasible that the likes of Rowson, Wetherill and Smith(or at least one of them) and/or others responsible for the original Willy series to have somehow stumbled across at least one of the seemingly increasing number of retro-gaming/JSW websites - maybe even this one and maybe to have added a post or two .. 

I would really have liked to have got hold of the source code to JSW2, even though i don't know much about machine language it would be interesting to compare it to JSW1

• 2 months later...

"JSW2+" is an "updated" version of "Jet Set Willy II: The Final Frontier" (Software Projects Ltd, 1985), created by Derrick P. Rowson, the author (or rather: co-author, with Matthew Smith) of the original game. The new version was released in November 2016 and is available for download from Julian D. A. Wiseman's website, which also offers a lot of valuable information about the game.

The game can be completed without losing a single life, although the ending is different from that of the original "JSWII". I have just recorded a couple of RZX walkthroughs of the game, which can be downloaded from the RZX Archive.

The technical novelties introduced in "JSW2+" are impressive, and there are several new rooms, including "The secret lab". Interestingly, the name of this room is written in sentence case in the file which can be downloaded from Julian D. A. Wiseman's website (which seems to be the final revision of the game - apparently Derrick P. Rowson said, "This is the only update I plan on doing"), while it is written in title case in the screenshots which Andy posted above.

I would encourage everyone to have a go at it: it is a great feeling to play such a familiar classic with a new feel to it  :D .

Great thanks go to Derrick P. Rowson for creating the new version, and to Julian D. A. Wiseman for making it publicly available!  :)

I am also wondering if there is any chance that John Elliott will ever update JSWED to make it able to open this new variant of "JSWII" properly and edit it...