Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

BBC Micro JSW and MM

Spider

Online play. :)

Note:

• Manic Miner is *very* slow and flickery. Some screens are different to other platforms.
  • JSW 1 is OK and quite a good conversion.
  • JSW 2 is not the 'full' version, its the 'tape' version rather than the full disc one**.

** The tape version is brutally cut down with some new (to BBC only) rooms as well as a lot (I mean a lot) missing. The disc version is about identical to the other platforms, as it loads each mansion section as you play. Its not on there yet I have requested it to be added however.

Play Manic Miner

Z=Left , X=Right , Space=Jump

Enter=Start

S=Sound On , Q= Sound Off

Play JSW

Z=Left , X=Right , @=Jump

Space=Start

Play JSW2 (cut down, tape version)

Z=Left , X=Right , @=Jump

Space=Start

Please be patient after clicking as the game must load into an online BBC Micro B emulator. ninja.gif

Enjoy.

Thanks for this, Andy!  :)

John Elliott has created conversions of the BBC Micro versions to ZX Spectrum, using the JSW64 game engine. They were discussed and beta-released on the Yahoo! Group, and I used some of the converted "JSW II" for the BBC Micro rooms, much developed, in "JSW: The 2010 Megamix". To quote from the text file:

"When I resumed work on the Megamix in February 2007, I decided to expand the game with rooms from JSW II for the BBC Micro, by Chris Robson, ported to the ZX Spectrum by John Elliott and beta-released in the Files section of the Yahoo! JSW/MM Group a year earlier. I transferred the rooms I chose for the project, but later on decided that they were not interesting enough and that they should be edited further to make them more interesting and more challenging. As a result, most of them eventually underwent very significant modifications."

I've never actually played anything on the BBC (either real hardware or emulated) until now.

Had a lot of fun with this, i ended up setting up a BBC Micro emulator because my somewhat primitive computer wouldn't allow the game to run properly online but once i got it going it was interesting to see the many differences in how the game runs, for example, animation is smooth but watch what happens when Willy is on the end of the rope in the cold store and wants to get off...

BeebEm is the one to go for.

The setup can be complex (if you let it) given the versatility of this machine. I prefer the 1770 disc interface to the 8271.

I will have 'full' versions of JSW2 to hand shortly, both with and without immunity. :)

Still looking for MM 'immunity' rather than infy lives. I did have it once.

I have two maps one for JSW1 (BBC) and one for JSW2**

The reason I've not posted them is simply as the JSW2 map is the 'tape' or 'cut down' version of the game not the full normal (disc only) version. This latter version near mirrors the Amstrad / Spectrum versions. The 'cut down' one is very cut down indeed.

I have the files ready (almost) too, but again I need to tweak one of them slightly before I post them. Currently there's:

Manic Miner , normal

Manic Miner , immunity

JSW1 , normal

JSW1 , immunity

JSW2 (full disc version) , normal

JSW2 (full disc version) , immunity

I will obtain and attend to the 'cut down' version of JSW2 as well although it is (to me at least) quite poor compared to the full version. :)