Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Jsw Bbc Computer Version

Dumb Waiter

Just started playing the Bbc computer version just to note any differences,early days yet but there is good use of colour as I would expect from this computer,sound is adequate.

Hello by the way I am a new member,about time there was a forum about these games :)

http://www.jammajup.co.uk/forums/jsw-bbc-bathroom.gif  http://www.jammajup.co.uk/forums/jsw-bbc-top-landing.gifhttp://www.jammajup.co.uk/forums/jsw-bbc-master-bedroom.gif

Welcome. :)

As just mentioned here a moment ago there's a few differences, I do have them to check them out.

Is your's the tape or disc version ? Coming to think about it afaik they are the same for JSW1 at least although would be interesting to know for sure.

The JSW2 versions (tape / disc) are quite different, ie "Ethel The Aardvark" etc, although I've not played that version for a few years.

Welcome. :)

Is your's the tape or disc version ? Coming to think about it afaik they are the same for JSW1 at least although would be interesting to know for sure.

The JSW2 versions (tape / disc) are quite different, ie "Ethel The Aardvark" etc, although I've not played that version for a few years

You know I had no idea there was differences between formats but now you have me curious. It is obviously through emulation and is a regular SSD file, so at this moment in time just looking at the game it I am unable to answer that question. It would take some time to be 100% sure as I would need to make a map lol.

You have me interesting in probing two versions of JSW2 if I have them.

You know I had no idea there was differences between formats but now you have me curious. It is obviously through emulation and is a regular SSD file, so at this moment in time just looking at the game it I am unable to answer that question. It would take some time to be 100% sure as I would need to make a map lol.

As far as I'm aware the 'cut down' one would of been tape only originally. Obviously they are all SSD's now. The 'disk' version is larger and loads sections as you go along. For instance in the disk version moving from 'First Landing' to 'To The Kitchens' causes a disk read. The 'tape' version moving left from 'Macaroni Ted' takes you to the 'Fallout Shelter'. On the 'disk' version that 'Macaroni Ted' screen is awol its 'Bathroom' straight to 'First Landing'

There are other differences, the JETSET WILLY message is solid in one and pixelated in the other.

Really a good map of both versions is needed.

Here's two structure screenshots:

'Tape'

jsw2_tape.png

'Disk'

jsw2_disk.png

Note: The disk version will crash horribly if there's not enough memory (or sideways ram not checked) I had to scale it down to just OS/DFS with ADFS present (but disabled) and a DNFS rom it crashed. See my 'suggested' basic config:

em_rom_config.png

I think a new topic for the B versions of JSW2 is in order however, if you wanted to make one I'll chip in bits and pieces etc. :)

I guess I should add some JSW1 B Screenshots now too:

I've not done all the rooms just a majority of them. The ending is the same however instead of Willy just falling into the Landing, he jumps twice, once to avoid dropping to the room below and again to avoid the nasty. The ending pics in this post will show.

Title Screens:

bbc_title1.png

bbc_title2.png

bbc_title3.png

Game Over Boot Perhaps for this version that should be !BOOT ? :D

bbc_game_over.png

General Game Screenshots:

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

13.png

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

18.png

19.png

20.png

21.png

22.png

23.png

24.png

25.png

26.png

27.png

28.png

29.png

30.png

31.png

32.png

33.png

34.png

35.png

36.png

37.png

38.png

39.png

40.png

41.png

The Ending: (Spoiler Alert!)

ending_1.png

ending_2.png

ending_3.png

ending_4.png

ending_5.png

ending_6.png

I've made a rough (on paper) map of the 'tape' version. I plan to assemble it into screenshots at some point. To summarize its got (most) of the 'space' rooms intact but the mansion is very small. No megatree etc. 74 rooms unless I've missed something.

Disk version needs mapping next although I think its not far off the C64 / CPC464 / Spectrum version in regards to its content. I'm aware of the 'extra' rooms in the C64 version.

• 3 weeks later...

I've uploaded a disassembly of the BBC version of Jet Set Willy 1. It's not yet as comprehensive as my Spectrum disassembly as I haven't done as much work on it. I have found a few initial pointers showing why it doesn't work properly on the Master series, and it looks like I'll be able to work up a bugfix to get it working.

Jet Set WIlly BBC Versions at http://mdfs.net/Software/JSW/BBC/

I've made a rough (on paper) map of the 'tape' version. I plan to assemble it into screenshots at some point. To summarize its got (most) of the 'space' rooms intact but the mansion is very small. No megatree etc. 74 rooms unless I've missed something.

Disk version needs mapping next although I think its not far off the C64 / CPC464 / Spectrum version in regards to its content. I'm aware of the 'extra' rooms in the C64 version.

BBC JetSetWilly 1 appears to have an identical room map to the Spectrum version (http://mdfs.net/Software/JSW/JSW1/Map.htm).

God damm it, how do you do proper links in this thing?

Edited by jgharston

BBC JetSetWilly 1 appears to have an identical room map to the Spectrum version (http://mdfs.net/Software/JSW/JSW1/Map.htm).

God damm it, how do you do proper links in this thing?

Thank you! :)

I did suspect that, the other versions I have to hand (not all posted just yet) appear the same Tatung and Z88 ( ! ) versions.

What browser are you using ?

Generally you can either:

1. Click the URL button just under the size dropdown and paste a URL in

or

2. Paste or type it in, if its does not link simply highlight the text and then click the link button to type in the URL.

or

3. Advanced users. Click the top left button on the editor to turn all the 'friendly' features off. "raw mode" in effect. Note switching between them while editing can have odd effects. I do use this quite a bit though as I'm used to typing in code.

The editor is better than it was however. I do have thoughts on this.

• 2 years later...

I've uploaded a disassembly of the BBC version of Jet Set Willy 1. It's not yet as comprehensive as my Spectrum disassembly as I haven't done as much work on it. I have found a few initial pointers showing why it doesn't work properly on the Master series, and it looks like I'll be able to work up a bugfix to get it working.

Jet Set WIlly BBC Versions at http://mdfs.net/Software/JSW/BBC/

I was wondering if you managed to look into making it run properly on the Master series yet ? :) I guess not as I do not see an update although you never know. :)

My investigations so far reveal:

JSW2 'disk' version (the full one) works OK at least on MOS3.5 . I note it loads it all in rather than when running on the B, which is interesting as with BeebEm I have quite a few empty slots of SRam but it appears to ignore them. No matter. I may edit the code to load them in anyway to see what happens.

JSW2 'tape' version (the trimmed one) , does not appear to work properly, graphics are terribly corrupt.

JSW1 , similar to JSW 'tape' corruption although not quite as bad as JSW2, its playable-ish with immunity applied but it looks like the ZX version with the Attic Bug in full swing.