Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] JSW+ Ve22 rv1

If this is open to further enhancements, may I humbly suggest that you insert the item that was supposed to be present in the Swimming Pool in the original Jet Set Willy.  Unfortunately, Matt Smith made the Air INK setting White in that room, which meant that the item was auto-collected upon Willy's entry to the room.  The item even has a shape defined in the code for the room 'Swimming Pool' - an upside-down wine glass, in keeping with the game's theme of Willy clearing up after a party - but because of the bug, you don't get to see it.

When JSW2 was made, the authors (of whom you are one, perhaps?) failed to pick up on the above point.  It means that 'Swimming Pool' is the only room [other than 'Cheat'] which is not visited if you follow the 'recommended route' [in order to complete the game having collected every item], as listed here:

http://www.jdawiseman.com/papers/games/jsw2/jsw2_route.html

Which seems a shame - it's an iconic room, very atmospheric and a symbolic status of Willy's new-found wealth and his decadent lifestyle - when there is an item shape already defined (and it was obviously Matt Smith's intention that it should make an appearance in the game).

Edited by IRF

A major change to the first JSW2+, lots and lots of additions and amendments.

however..

I could be wrong here but it would seem that in this new version it is impossible to collect all the items without losing at least one life, i won't spoil it for others as to why but i would gladly be proven wrong if this is not the case

I've just completed the game, using Rollback in SPIN, with 323 items collected (328 after the final, or pre-final, room) [EDIT: I missed two items, see a comment in a new post below], 15 spare lives and 142 rooms on the room counter (I didn't visit "Swimming Pool", "Entrance to Hades", "cheat", and the rightmost of the newest rooms, whose name I don't remember right now - it's very nice, actually, but itemless EDIT: it's called "Eureka"). I concur with Metalmickey there is one instance where you have to lose a life in order to collect some of the items [EDIT: there are two such instances]. I don't see a way to avoid it (not a problem, of course, with so many spare lives you gain).

I have recorded an RZX walkthrough of which I am moderately satisfied. I will send it to RZX Archive as an update to the currently-hosted file [EDIT: done, see a comment  in a new post below]. I think that before I do, though, I should also investigate and record the shortest possible completion of the game (with only the minimum number of items collected needed to complete the game and lives lost in order to gain time). However, that will probably require at least a day of work, so it'll have to wait until the weekend [EDIT: done, see a comment  in a new post below].

Some comments:

Yes, the changes in this version are numerous and far-reaching in relation to the version hosted on Julian Wiseman's website. While I trust they are technically impressive (more rooms, additional features), I have to say I am not extremely fond of some of them. For example, the game has been sped up (it can also be slowed down by the player, which is a new feature, I think). It's even faster than the regular JSW2, which is already very fast in relation to the original JSW. I don't really mind the speed as far as gameplay is concerned, but I don't particularly like it. You know, it's like sipping good wine or some other drink - the idea is not to pour it down in one gulp, but to enjoy it, take your time. Same here.

I don't particularly like the modifications to some rooms, like to "Banned", for instance. It may be that I've just got too used to the previous version of "JSW2+" I played and/or the original "JSW2", but I like the original versions better.

It's nice to see some brand-new rooms, although most of them give an impression of being designed primarily as technical samples, so to speak, to show off new features.

The loophole in the older version which allowed the player to exit the final two-room loop and wonder around the playing field again, repeating the toilet run and collecting two additional items every time a long detour is completed, has apparently been closed - which is good. I don't think any more cheating is possible in this department.

That's all for now  :) .

Edited by jetsetdanny

i'd say that that he probably created this innovation mainly as proof of concept or perhaps as a response to the multitude of re-makes of JSW1. I find it quite fascinating that the same author who originally (re)created the game in 1985 has taken the time to re-write the same game nearly 32 years later and the re-rewrite it again.

He seems to have gone to a lot of trouble going by his notes especially as he's doing it off his own back and expecting nothing in return for it.

wonder what Matt Smith's doing these days...? ok probably pushing my luck there... :P

The RZX recordings of my two walkthroughs of "JSWII+" Version +e.22 are now hosted on RZX Archive and can be downloaded from here. The ZIP also includes, as a historical curiosity, the walkthroughs of Version +e.2, which is still hosted on Julian D. A. Wiseman's website.

I have been able to complete Version +e.22 (in the sense of reaching "Oh $#!+!The Central Cavern!" after the toilet run), with all items collected and no unnecessary loss of life, at 01:16:30 in-game time, and with the minimum necessary number of 298 items collected and some lives lost in order to gain time, at 00:52:59 (to be precise, I collected 299 items, because the bathroom tap was collected inadvertently during the toilet run).

I need to correct my statement from a previous post: the total number of items which can be collected in the main playing area (before triggering the toilet run) is 325 (not 323). In my first attempt I missed two items in the "Glitch in Holodeck" mini-maze. Another correction is that two lives (not one) need to be lost in order to collect all items AFAICT.

A note about the "Glitch in Holodeck" mini-maze:

It is accessible from the lower east of "Shuttle Bay". It comprises four rooms: one without any guardians, two with a bird and one with a dumbbell. There are 15 items in each of these rooms in Version +e.22 of the game. The room numbering does not matter as far as gameplay is concerned. The easiest way to pass through the maze is to keep walking right (jumping over the gap in the floor, so as to always exit to the right rather than downwards).

Also, I would just like to add to my previous post that I am not negative in any sense about Version +e.22 of "JSWII+". I think it's great that it has been created :) , and the new rooms and technical features certainly add to it, and are very impressive in the sense of so much being crammed into 48K  :) . It would be truly fantastic now if John Elliott was able to develop JSWED to allow people to edit this new version of the game, using horizontal lifts, turbo down lifts and all of the other new features  :ph34r: .

He seems to have gone to a lot of trouble going by his notes especially as he's doing it off his own back and expecting nothing in return for it.

Don't we all?  ;)

• 2 weeks later...

In JSW2+e.22 To complete the game it is necessary if collecting all the items for Willy to be killed only once.

The Glitch rooms are accessed by killing Willy, the life will be given back due to the number of objects collected in those four rooms.

There is no need to kill Willy in any other place. The exit from "water supply" does not need a suicide jump.  The rope that permits exit, cycles and after a short wait will re-appear.

Thanks a lot for these clarifications! I thought it was necessary to make a suicide jump into the Well, after which, curiously, it is possible to jump and catch the rope before it disappears.

Could you please let me know, for the sake of Chronology on JSW Central, the dates when "JSWII+" was first made publicly available (even to a limited group of people, like e.g. registered users of some forum), and then the subsequent releases of new revisions? Or, if there is a place on the web I could verify it, please let me know what it is. I would appreciate very much as detailed information as possible in order to include it in Chronology. The character of the each release would be important, too (beta or gamma), although I guess the latest revision uploaded here can be considered gamma and all the previous ones, beta, wouldn't that be correct? (the question is, of course, if the version which you kindly uploaded here had been made available publicly elsewhere before; if so, when?).

Thanks in advance for any help you may offer!  :)

Chronology of JSW2+ . As far as I am aware there have been 4 releases of JSW2+

original listing scanned 14th October 

Two prototypes testing ideas, which could not be finnished. (which have been deleted)

Then the J Wiseman version  12th November 2016

This was changed and developed further up until the end of 2016.

Cutoff point for all development was 31st December 2016

The Final version was Ve22 and released on Facebook on the 10th January 2017.

I will seek more information on chronology/development. (this may take some time)