File Name: Manic Miner C16
File Submitter: Spider
File Submitted: 05 Jun 2017
File Category: Manic Miner [Originals]System: Commodore
Original Author(s): Unknown
Manic Miner for the Commodore C16, published by Software Projects in 1986.
The game feels, looks and plays very well indeed. The game layout closely follows the Amstrad and Spectrum versions. Unfortunately I do not have any information on the author of this version.
Both a tape and disk (.tap and .prg) are provided, although the 'game code' is the same with them, merely the media format is different.
It is quite remarkable it fitted into the limited space available on this machine. There have been some compromises to do this however, the ones I have noted are:
1. There is no title screen as such, the game immediately starts upon loading and restarts upon life loss
2. There is very little sound. No in game tune and little effects
3. No animated lives counter, it is a simple "Lives: x" line
4. Some guardian shapes are recycled and used again and some types present in other versions are not used in this variant
5. Guardians lack much colour they are typically white
6. No extra lives are given upon reaching a certain score. Other versions this is typically one extra life per 10K points
7. The air supply is quite slow to drain generally. I do not think there is any differential between rooms on the initial 'starting supply' of air
8. In 'Solar Power Generator' the beam does not appear to decrease the air supply or if it does it happens very slowly
9. In the 'Alien Toilet' caverns that were 'Kong Beast' caverns, the switches are present but have no effect and the 'wall' is always open
Some rooms have been renamed too:
"Miner Willy meets the Kong Beast" is now "Miner Willy and the Toilet"
"Wacky Amoebatron's" is now "Wacky Triangles"
"Attack of the Mutant Telephones" is now "Spinning Thingy's"
"Return of the Alien Kong Beast" is now "Return of the Alien Toilet"
"Skylab Landing Bay" is now "Penguin Sick Bay"
"Amoebatron's Revenge" is now "Logo's Revenge"
Controls are joystick in P2 or the following keys:
Q,E,T,U = Left
W,R,Y,I = Right
Shift/Space = Jump
K = Pause
J = Resume