15 replies to this topic

#11 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 04:48 PM

Interesting example. :)

As mentioned I did have a very vague "plan" to do this at some future point but given the FaceBook detail (I only had the email I've not logged in) I decided I would wait to see how it turned out.

I would like to use PGD to create some JSW/MM type games eventually, that is part of the reason I purchased it :) Along with SEUD last year although my JSW/MM plans for that are best forgotten!

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#12 Norman Sword

Norman Sword

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 05:57 PM

wrote a stack copy version and wondered why it was so slow. Checked the code, and noticed I was redrawing everything on every loop. (it was a test file)

With the stack copy the game is viable in this format.

#13 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:41 AM

The stack version is a lot better I think. I do recall (unless I'm mistaken) there was at least one JSW and one MM 'fast' version where a lot of LDI's were replaced with other code, resulting in a speed increase.

#14 Norman Sword

Norman Sword

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 12:22 PM

Updated to the 3rd method. (with the other 2)

Was not happy with the speed. So decided to use stack copy with a sprite screen save routine. E.g. The sprite draws on the screen and at the same time saves the background it writes to. Doing this removes one of the long and slow stack copy routines.

100% this is easily fast enough to do perils of willy.

#15 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:38 PM

The speed increase is relatively substantial, moreso when compared directly between the first and third file. Concur with you its fast enough like that.

I only wish JSW would run at that speed! , I tend to play it at about 120% to 130% usually as that I find is a sensible compromise with it not being too fast for tight manoeuvres but at the same time not being too sluggish.

#16 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

I thought I'd do a combi 'gridded' pic of MM/PGD/JSW just to have them side-by-side as such. I thought about Perils as well but given the resolution differences... :unsure:

play_area_comparison.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users