Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Jet Set Mini

IRF

Jet Set Mini

"Willy has fallen on hard times. After living the high life for several years, he had frittered away his mining fortune, and found himself struggling with the upkeep of his sprawling mansion. So he had no choice but to downsize to a more modest pile.

Things settled down for a while, but then he made the mistake of inviting a few of his old friends over to his new gaff for a housewarming party: 'Just a few quiet drinks, nothing major...'

The morning after the night before, Willy wakes up in the bath with a throbbing hangover, to observe a disturbingly familiar scene. His house is trashed, all his friends have deserted him, an assortment of dangerous denizens have taken up residence - and his tyrannical housekeeper Maria won't let him go to bed until he's tidied up the place..."

'Jet Set Mini' is a redesign of Matthew Smith's classic ZX Spectrum 48K game 'Jet Set Willy'. It can be played on a real Spectrum, on the Sinclair ZX Spectrum Vega/Vega+ or on a computer, games console or another device using a ZX Spectrum emulator.

Willy's new abode in 'Jet Set Mini' is rather scaled down in comparison with his original mansion. But size isn't everything! Much of the code which was freed up by paring back the layout has been recycled, in order to insert a whole host of special effects into the game!

Many of these changes are implemented via tools known in the trade as 'Patch Vectors', which are called up on a room-specific basis. There are also a number of generic modifications and enhancements to the game engine. However, the essence of this 8-bit, 48K game will be very familiar to connoisseurs of 'Jet Set Willy'. We hope it gives you 'no small measure of pleasure'!

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe let me know your completion time and I'll see if you've beaten mine yet?

By the way, look out for a few 'clues' along the way...

Danny, if you do manage to find any such clues, please put any discussion of them in the following thread for now:

http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/164-jsw-mini-contains-spoilers/page-126

Edited by IRF

OK.

My idea, though, is that if I record an RZX walkthrough, it will be done in order to submit it to RZX Archive (now).

If you'd rather I didn't submit such a recording at this time (so as not to provide any spoilers for people who were not involved with the project), that's fine, I don't mind giving "the outsiders" some more time to solve the mysteries of the game (I think that once a whole year has passed since the release, I won't have any qualms about it, because those who may have been interested will have had enough time to have a go at the game).

If it is your preference not to submit the recording at this time, I will not be doing it for now. It can wait :).

Edited by jetsetdanny