Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner by Software Projects + BUG-BYTE

Norman Sword

This is a modified version of Matthews Manic Miner. The core code has been edited extensively.

All data was left intact from #b000 onwards, but is modified at run time to swap between the Bug-byte version and the Software projects version of Manic Miner.

The list of changes is very long. Most of these changes are not evident, some are very evident.

keys

1) change the style of jumping and movement

after cheat invoke

4)  Immortality

3)  Platform rebuild - when invoked the "9" key rebuilds the platforms

Holding down the "9" key and pressing

1) move back a cavern 

2) move forward a cavern

BB-SP.tap

post-125-0-49909500-1504709479_thumb.png

:) Looks interesting.

You are welcome to put this into the Downloads system if you wish, or I can do this for you if you want (or it can just stay 'as is' if you prefer) I'd not do it without asking obviously and it would be in your name anyway leaving you free to update if required.

I have built several versions of this but these changes tend to be minor things like using a mixture of sprites from both versions to get the 'best of both worlds' and for example replacing the 'Razor blades' in The Warehouse with the JSW one, simply as the sprite is a nicer version of the same graphic. Other minor changes were saving the score upon pressing break and a few other things.

The effects are brilliant. :D especially the collision and game over.

I also appreciate the icons for various in game status such as the tune and keys, and cheats. I also like the fact the 'boot' must be enabled first to use some of these.

EDIT... I do not see an immediate change with the keys however :unsure: , I do like the merge ink effect rather than overwrite when WIlly passes near a platform.

Edited by Spider

The alternative style of jumping and movement is similar to that found in JSW2, I believe?  (e.g. the ability to turn around more quickly in between sideways jumps in opposing directions.)

Although I don't think it is identical to JSW2 movement?  (In JSW2, Willy progresses an additional frame of animation at the end of a sideways jump, in contrast with JSW/MM, or with this MM remake.)

Edited by IRF

Am I right in thinking that you've implemented the patch which re-orders the way in which the graphical bytes and attributes are copied across from the buffers onto the physical screen?

The 'Jagged Finger' effect is much less pronounced, and the attributes don't seem to lag behind the graphics to the same extent.  This is particularly noticeable in 'Eugene's Lair', where previously Willy's head/feet, and parts of the yellow toilet guardian, could momentarily be observed to turn black at times (because the background INK in that cavern is set to black, whilst the background PAPER is non-black), but now that phenomenon is almost eliminated.  :)

Scope of the editing.

Forget the notion I added patches, this is a source code rewrite from the first byte to the last.

I do not think there is any byte from the start of manic miner up to #b000 that is in the same place. This was not a version written using patches, but a version rewritten from the ground up using Matthews code as the basis. For example a walk from the left wall in the central cavern to the right wall in the central cavern. In the original Bug-byte version this takes just under ten seconds (9.83s) this newer version takes abour 7.42s which is a speed increase of 2.41s. This is over 20% faster. Every instance of code that was deemed to be wasting time or memory was rewritten. 

trivial changes that can be seen/heard

Object collection makes a noise

the light beam makes a noise if it collides with willy

collisions make a noise

the skylabs landing make a noise.

the skylabs do not colour in the landing platform. logic rewrite

collapsing floors could have blank lines. logic rewrite

conveyors move slower. 

Manic Miner screen

Game completion screen

Sprite Easter egg screen

Manic miner easter egg screen

credit screen

Icons

new cheat implementation method 

the list of changes is vast

I will do a count of the number of code changes......

I gave up after passing 2,500 new opcode/instructions in the code.

Then there is the matter of the additional data for the icons, sprite mask, explosions

The explosions uses 4k of memory

256 bytes extra just to store the 2nd scrolling message

there is a big data table that lists the changes data between the two versions

Forget the notion I added patches, this is a source code rewrite from the first byte to the last.

The new sound effects are good, particularly the one which occurs when Willy stands in the Solar Beam.  :)

Incidentally, I notice that you have fixed/eradicated/prevented the bug in the original Manic Miner which meant that Willy didn't always die as soon as the air supply ran out if he was standing in the Solar Beam at the time.  (i.e. The final character of air could reappear, and be re-depleted, several times before the air supply - and Willy! - finally expired.)

The air supply.

Decrease_Air                                    ;original code at  35388

ld     hl,Game_Clock                      ;original reference 32957
    ld     a,(hl)
    sub  4 
    ld     (hl),a
    ;; ld     b,a                             ;>>>>delete this instruction

jr     nc,Display_air
    ex   de,hl   ;save hl

ld    hl,Remain_Air                           ;original reference 32956
    ld    a,(hl)
    cp   36
;if this returns then is should leave the air at "0"
    jr     nz,decrease_bar
    xor  a
    ld    (de),a
    ret

decrease_bar
   dec    (hl)
   ld     a,(de)                         ;>>>>> change from >>ld      a,b     ;21

Display_air
    AND 11100000b      ;224 

This is the slight change. I do not know if this would sit in the original space.

tiny change 1 byte shorter 

Edited by Norman Sword

• 2 weeks later...

Great stuff, Norman Sword, thanks for sharing it!

Do you consider the file you have uploaded to be the final version, or is it still work in progress?

When info about this version is placed (at some future point) on JSW Central, would you like it to be called "Manic Miner by Software Projects + BUG-BYTE" or something else?