Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

A test file for JSW

Norman Sword

This file serves no purpose, apart from toying with an idea, and showing the results of that toying.

For years the baddies have dominated this game, and they think they have Willy on the ropes and scared.

Take back control.

In addition to the normal movement keys I have added (actually reassigned) two more keys.

Press "F" for the first effect ----  part restricted in usage.

whilst holding down "F" press "G" for the second effect.

The room will reset after each visit. (so no sprites were harmed in allowing this effect to happen)

When I wrote this I was aware of the BUG caused by stairs which affected the bullet  sprite alignment. I was not going to fix it, but since then I have become aware of another problem concerning the time over data. (which was over written). So reluctantly I have rewritten some of the code.

Willy 007.tap     original File

Willy 007a.tap   stair fix - sound fx fix - time over fix 

willy 007.tap

WILLY 007a.tap

Edited by Norman Sword

hehe that's brilliant. :D

The effect is interesting on a 'larger' guardian aka the "Chapel / Priest's Hole/ Entrance To Hades" guardian in that you eliminate half of it however to my mind this does not matter too much the 'game changing' effect is :thumbsup:

EDIT... The 'extra arrows' in The Hall are a nice touch too, unsure if they were there in one of your previous builds.

Edited by Spider

Data for the arrows.

In the normal set up of an arrow. It uses half of its allocated eight byte slot

(after deleting the unnecessary data used at offset 5) 

e.g

0= direction and type (arrow)

1=

2=y position 

3=

4=x position

5=

6=graphic

7=

It is relatively easy to make the arrow, use the alternate spaces as the data for a second arrow.

I did not go further with this idea, simply because in the games present format. It is difficult to actually define the second arrow to do much.

I simply positioned the sprite to have the same Y-position as the first, and left it at that.

This means every arrow in the game is paired with another arrow.

If a method of changing the y-position of the second arrow (in the same guardian slot) was incorporated, and also a method of changing the default arrow timing. (A Major Change)  Then this would allow 16 arrows in a room.  

The BLOB bouncing across the Bathroom was another Guardian type. That I rapidly lost interest in. It had many versions, some of which became floors that moved etc.  Since none of the effects took my interest, the BLOB is all that remains. 

Edited by Norman Sword

Interestingly, when Willy is standing (stationary) at certain positions on the ramp in The Bathroom, as the BLOB passes (harmlessly) through his legs, he is drawn at a higher position than usual..  But only for a single time-frame, before he drops back down to the regular height.

This is presumably because when the BLOB is coincident with the ramp cell upon which Willy is standing, it changes the attribute-based behaviour when Willy is drawn, and so in that moment his y-coordinate is not adjusted for the fact that he is standing on a ramp.

The BLOB is probably acting as a Water cell by default.  You could maybe get some other interesting effects by making the BLOB's attribute coincide with that of:

- the Conveyor cells - it could cause Willy to turn around, or increment his frame of animation, as it passed under his feet?;

- the Ramp cells - i.e. the reverse of the behaviour seen in Norman's file, causing Willy to bob down as it passes under his feet (perhaps into the path of a guardian?);

- the Air cells - if Willy was standing on a single Water/Earth block and the BLOB passed through that block, then it would briefly turn to Air, causing him to fall through the block upon which he is standing (the BLOB would be invisible against the background though, unless it was given a pixel pattern and the INK and PAPER for the room's Air cells had different settings?);

- the Fire cells - the blocks would be lethal if they hit Willy (that's already been done in a Geoff Mode patch actually);

- the Earth cells - you could create a moving 'Innocent Looking Block' which Willy has to try to perform a quirky jump through, in order to access a lower level?!?;

- Crumbly cells - causing a platform to crumble only when Willy is standing on it and the BLOB passes through it?

- In JSW64, moving Trampoline or Trap cells?  The former would force Willy to jump as it passed under his feet; the latter would cause him to start falling if it passed under his feet (even if the other half of his sprite is also standing on a solid block).

Edited by IRF

In addition I have rewritten the cheat. Activated as normal, same place same password.

It is activated by pressing "9"

On the room name banner line, you will see the room number in decimal.

Movement around the rooms is the same as another file I uploaded e.g.

1=left

2=right

3=up

4=down

to re-enter a room press any movement key for left or right

- Can be used as a major cheat, because as a sprite approaches you can press "9" and Willy will vanish. Wait for the sprite to move out of you way. Then press a key to carry on walking. 

Easier to probably press "F" "G" and remove the sprite. But the cheat mode is far older.

I only started to write the "F" "G" feature yesterday afternoon. 

I just had an idea this evening, and so I knocked up a test file to try it out.

Load up the attached, kill Willy (he only gets one life) and see what happens...

:lol: :)

In some way that half reminds me of "Wanted Monty Mole" where the 'soul' rises but it does that at each life loss and takes ages (sent pokes ages ago to T.S to 'reduce it') as it was a bit too long winded in that game.

I do like the effect here as its only at "game over" time and its not too long anyway. :thumbsup: