Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] Manic Miner - Highscore Challenge

Spider

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have just commented on WoS about my recent update of the high scores for each cavern.

My post on Wos is here. The highlights:

- My updated ZIP package with recordings of every level of "Manic Miner - Highscore Challenge" can be downloaded from here.

- I have improved all-time high scores in 7 caverns. They are:

02 The Cold Room - 1967
06 Processing Plant - 1821
10 The Endorian Forest - 1835
12 Return of the Alien Kong Beast - 4276
14 Skylab Landing Bay - 1808
16 The Sixteenth Cavern - 1830
19 Solar Power Generator - 1125

- I have also reproduced the best scores reported by others on all of the other levels. So in the current complete set of my RZX recordings you can watch all of the caverns completed as efficiently as anyone has ever done 😁 .

The remaining scores (for a convenient reference) are:

01 Central Cavern - 1724
03 The Menagerie - 1903
04 Abandoned Uranium Workings - 1854
05 Eugene's Lair - 1748
07 The Vat - 1825
08 Miner Willy meets the Kong Beast - 4047
09 Wacky Amoebatrons - 1345
11 Attack of the Mutant Telephones - 1720
13 Ore Refinery - 1866
15 The Bank - 1709
17 The Warehouse - 1909
18 Amoebatrons' Revenge - 1314
20 The Final Barrier - 1776

With all this, the highest confirmed possible score in "Manic Miner" is 39,402 points.

My recently updated RZX recordings of the whole game, available for download here, are not very far off, showing the completion of both variants of the game with a score of 39,388 points. If you are interested, you can also watch videos made from them, the Bug-Byte version is here and the Software Projects version is here.

I can't help thinking that it might be possible, in theory, to beat a total score of 40,000? Or, failing that, at least 39,500?  Perhaps with a bit more judicious jumping in Solar Power Generator to avoid the solar beam (which saps air and therefore reduces the potential score whenever Willy gets touched by it)?

EDIT: I take back that last point about the solar cavern - I just watched Danny's recordings of it (in both BB and SP versions of the game), and he manages to get Willy in almost exactly the right place throughout, so that he hardly ever gets zapped by the beam!

Edited by IRF

Yeah, that's the reason for the 1125 points' score in that cavern - avoiding the Solar Beam almost entirely. There are a couple of occasions when it does sap the air, but I don't think this can be avoided. I tried some alternatives (like making a particular manoeuvre a little bit later on), but I think they would only lower the score.

I don't think there is enough room to improve the final score to beat 39,500, unless there is still a different route somewhere which could improve the score for one of the rooms dramatically. 40,000 is impossible, I believe (and I would wager a moderate amount of money on it 😄).

• 2 weeks later...