Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW 128 VK3.Tap

View File

Altered Reality.

The basic Core of this game is Matthew Smiths original code.
Which although edited still runs in the original 48K

Due to extensive compression and rewrites of the original code this version.

Runs at double the original speed
Runs with up to 16 sprites per room
Runs with up to 32 arrows per room
Has diagonal sprites
Has mid sprite bounce
Has homing sprites
Has 128 rooms
and .....

I will leave the user/player to work out what has changed.

Uses "G" key- "H" key- and the "K" and "L" key

---------------------------------------------
Technical addendum :- files needed to construct the game

NOT INCLUDED.

These files are used to generate the game file

main files:-
mnjsw9.asm 15,264 lines in 423,867 bytes
manic_edit_copy.asm 342 lines in 10,576 bytes
fixed_page.asm 1,249 lines in 48,929 bytes
merged.asm 40 lines in 2,096 bytes

included data files when assembling
x0 1132 lines in 39k ; big data statements
x1 286 lines in 20k
x2 509 lines in 22k
x3 1103 lines in 41k

included binary files when assembling
edited-edit_3 6.75k

control.txt
650 lines in 20k
game files
jsw0.tap 30.9k
jsw1.tap 30.9k

the files control.txt jsw0.tap and jsw1.tap are processed by saveab1.bas

this is 1651 lines of qbasic in 48.07k

The process's includes- read room layout, compress data -output room layout data
read sprite data and read control file, change sprite data compress and output
reconfigure the key data and output
read the room data, discard unwanted data compress and output
in essence the basic file is taking the two games and merging into a set of output files, needed to assemble

A sprite editor and a room editor, along with an assortment of checking data files
All in, around 790k of associated files and data for version "K".

Which is why old versions are discarded when I update the logic

I am currently on version "L" - which is a big change in game play

This looks excellent. :)

First glance I appreciate the use of the two sprites to indicate the speed factor, and I like the colour cycling effect you have in place on the information page too.

The ramp "patrolling" guardian is also an excellent thought. Almost as though it was originally intended!

Won't add to much more at this stage as I've only had (as I write this) a cursory glance around. :D

• 3 weeks later...

I like the 'sinking floor' effect in Top Landing when Willy jumps on the floor tiles. :)

I concur, its potentially useful too as well indicating to me "dodgy floorboards" rather than crumblies. I do note that if he is jumping and the fall removes the last piece then its usually a fatal fall but that's good design I think.

The on/off multi conveyors are also very interesting especially with the multiple arrows, a bit of careful timing is needed for "The Wet Room" B)

Norman, am I right in thinking that you have resolved the sudden downwards jerking when Willy's head enters a wall tile on the descent part of a jump*, presumably by only executing the code at #8EBC during the ascent part of a jump?

* e.g. when jumping in the gap between overhead and underfoot wall blocks in The Wine Cellar.

Edited by IRF

A few observations:

- Ropes only pick Willy up when he has white INK, which he normally does, but not immediately after he has lost a life and his next life is temporarily 'shielded' (indicated by his sprite colour-cycling);

- Using the Superjump facility, Willy can jump into wall tiles (presumably because he ascends and descends twice the distance in each time frame, so the new check for a wall tile below his sprite, intended to prevent him jumping into one during a normal jump, does not take effect);

- I notice that some rooms have a heart symbol on the status bar, indicating an extra life is granted when he collects an item in that room; or an 'extra ammo' symbol which works in a similar way for his ammunition.  However, in The Swimming Pool, there are two extra symbols - a yellow sun and a magenta arrow (or compass point?) - and I'm not sure what the significance of those are?

EDIT: I've since noticed that the magenta arrow symbol (but not the sun) appears in The Bow.  And all four (arrow/sun/heart/ammo) appear in On a Branch Over the Drive.

FURTHER EDIT: In rooms with the upwards pointing (magenta) arrow, the 'H' key alone causes Willy to do a Superjump.  (N.B. In all other rooms, pressing 'H' along with one of the regular jump keys allows him to perform a Superjump - this is a bit of a 'cheat' [unintentional?] as it allows him to dodge many of the obstacles throughout the whole game!)

That just leaves the mystery regarding the sun symbol.

Edited by IRF

The four symbols that I mentioned only occupy a single character, then on top of that there are some 2x2 icons that appear (or not) depending on the room:

- Willy firing a gun (white): means that he can shoot guardians by pressing 'G' (number of bullets left is written below the icon in red);

- Foot (yellow): means that water cells collapse when Willy jumps on them;

- Collapsing ceiling (green): means that Willy can headbutt wall tiles from beneath.

Then there is the rabbit/snail pair of icons (in cyan), which indicate the speed of the game engine (changeable by pressing 'K' for faster or 'L' for slower.

'H' to activate Superjump seems to work everywhere, except when Willy is near the top of the room that he is in.  EDIT: That's 'H' being pressed in conjunction with one of the regular Jump keys, not 'H' on its own except in a room with the magenta 'arrow' symbol on the status bar.

Edited by IRF