Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

However, despite that West of Kitchen remaining stubbornly uncollected, I have just managed to complete the game!  The item count starts at 243; I got it down to 000 (the last three items that I collected were in the room 'A Cut Above' which is the 'alternate reality' version of 'The Nightmare Room', and where the precise logic followed by the movement of the guardians still eludes me!) and then went to the Master Bedroom and Maria had disappeared.

So there must actually be 244 items in the game, but you only need to collect 243 (unless the one in West of Kitchen [near the top of the ladder that leads up to Banyan Tree] is a 'false item'?)

My in-game completion time was 13:07:01 (I can be that precise because the clock stops ticking at the point when Willy starts to worship the White Porcelain God...)

The meaning of the yellow sun icon on the status bar in some rooms still eludes me though?

Anyway, congratulations Norman - the new rooms and new features in this 'alternate reality' JSW mansion were a delight to explore!

Edited by IRF

I note that Norman has now uploaded a revised version of this project, with the 'Superjump' cheat disabled (except in rooms where it is supposed to be present, as indicated by the 'arrow' icon), and the 'sun' icon removed from the status bar.

(Technically, the sun is still drawn on the status bar - all four small icons in that 2x2 character square [heart/sun/ammo/arrow] are permanently drawn there - but its colour attribute has been changed to black INK on black PAPER, rendering it invisible.  This leaves open the possibility that the sun icon may be resurrected if in future Norman remembers what it was supposed to signify!)

The West of Kitchen item is still uncollectable. :mellow:

Addendum

JSW 128Vk2   is a file (game) that runs on a 48k Spectrum.

;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is called JSW 128 V?? simply because When I looked at the amount of editing that has/had occurred on Matthews original file. I noticed that the vast majority had stuck to the limitation of 64 rooms as designed by Matthew.

Some brave soles had managed to add a hand full of rooms onto the 64 original. As far as I was aware no one had edited JSW to improve on 74 rooms. The figure 74 was an arbitrary figure set as a benchmark to beat.

Having devised a method for storing the keys/objects that did not waste memory in the manor used by others, I added some rooms. Keeping to the format that Matthew had devised I managed to keep on adding rooms just by room layout compression. In the end I decided I wanted to add features so I compressed the room data/sprite data etc. I expanded to the limit that my new key layout would permit.

The game as played has two versions of JET SET WILLY within its memory. But It could be a totally different plan, their is no layout restrictions. The dual game was just laziness on my part (the need to design 128 new rooms, as opposed to writing the code to add features)   

Since my target was 74 rooms, which was easily beaten. The room count ended up as 128, which exceeds the old count of 74 by 54 rooms.

JSW 128 VK2  is just emphasising that this version has 128 rooms.

Edited by Norman Sword

My game code checks for "0" and uses this as a signal for the completion of the game. so in my version you can only have 0 to 255 objects. with 255 being the maximum.

if the code assumed that a true "0" could not happen unless it was game finished. Which is not an unreasonable assumption. This is just assuming the game  has objects at the start. Otherwise we start with no objects and no purpose which is a strange starting point.

This is talking about object collection, and ignoring the actual coding used in the game. (the actual game, increments from a negative value)

The code for object collection could blindly decrement the object count and check for none.

I check for none before collecting an object, and I again check for none after the object is collected as well. This double check is not needed. It was added so I could mess with the number of objects specified at the start of the game. This consisted of inserting a value over the actual item count (after it is calculated in the game) Thus I could collect one object and go to the bedroom to start the game finished sequence. This left the problem of the collecting of an object with the counter at zero (plenty more objects defined in the game) ----this necessitated the double check - not needed but left.

--- using a value to represent the objects to collect, as opposed to the actual code in the game----

a value of 1 indicates 1 object, when an item is collected the 1 is decremented to 0 ---- game finished
----- ------ -----2 ----------  2 objects, -----------------              ------ 2 -- ---------------  --- 1  
------ ----- -----3  ---------  3 ----------, ---------------------             -- 3 -- --------------- ---- 2
---- ------- -----4 ---------   4 -------- ,---------------- -----------    ---- 4 ----- -- --------- ---- 3

------ ----- ----- 255 ------ 255 objects, ---------    -----         ----- 255 -- ------------- ----- 254
and finally

a  value of 0 indicates 256 objects, when one item is collected the value is decremented to 255 --- carry on

So if a need arose for 256 objects I would/could change the code to cope.

So it is possible to have 256 objects to collect. Space is allocated for this many in the object list.

Edited by Norman Sword

Thanks for your explanations, Norman Sword!

It is called JSW 128 V?? simply because When I looked at the amount of editing that has/had occurred on Matthews original file. I noticed that the vast majority had stuck to the limitation of 64 rooms as designed by Matthew.

Some brave soles had managed to add a hand full of rooms onto the 64 original. As far as I was aware no one had edited JSW to improve on 74 rooms. The figure 74 was an arbitrary figure set as a benchmark to beat.

I take it you mean in 48K (modified game engines which use 128K have up to 256 rooms), and not re-coded the way "Jet Set Willy II" is?

I just need to point out that "Henry's Hoard", which fulfils the above criteria, has 75 playable rooms  ;) .

I am not aware of any game using (mostly) the original game engine which has 74 rooms. Did you have any particular one in mind when you set the benchmark?

The "second best" I know of was the Final Edition of Steve Worek's "Jet Set Emily: Baby on the Go" which has 71 rooms.

Of course you've beaten these numbers dramatically  :thumbsup: .

I think this answers your question on my arbitrary selection of 74

arbitrary

Dictionary.com

subject to individual will or judgement without restriction; contingent solely upon one's discretion:

Cambridge Dictionary

based on chance rather than being planned or based on reason:

Oxford Dictionary

Based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

Wiktionary

Etymology
              From Middle English arbitrarie, Latin arbitrarius (