Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

[File] JSW 128 VL5

Norman Sword

JSW 128 VL5

View File

JSW 128 VL5

This was written just after JSW 128 VK3.

It is an extension of the game, which I pushed towards the feel of Manic Miner
In this version changed over a period of two weeks, I took the idea of game save status and changed the way JET SET WILLY plays. If you can play JET SET WILLY then this version might actually be a hindrance to you.
For the lesser player it adds the ability to keep on trying a sequence of the game until they master it.
The only constraint to finishing is the time limit. There are no lives to be decimated, you are totally free to roam, and free to try any action.
The catch is simply that for every instance that you would normally die and loose a life you transported back to the last portal that you visited. Infinite lives and lots of time, sounds easy to finish?
The double catch is that every time you die the game re-installs all the objects collected since the last portal, it also resets the ammo.
This makes collecting objects different from when you play with infinite lives, a death jump or leap to collect an object, will not collect the object but will transport you back to the last portal, which might be some distance away. You have to perfect all the paths that collect objects and manage to get to a portal and save them.
It also changes the way willy re-appears back in a room after death. In this version that simply does not happen, he is moved back to the last portal.

f you don't visit the portals then a death could take you back many many rooms and many, many objects collected. Those portals are the most important place to visit.
If the game was easy in the standard format, then this version will not have any change in how you play, its design is for the casual player to permit wandering without real consequence.
One technical change from JSW128 VK3 was that is Willy does not change colour when immune. This was changed to the room name changes colour when immune instead. This small change was to enable willy to jump on ropes when immune.
It has an inbuilt cheat mode, which uses a different cheat code from all other versions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In this demo version I have pushed previous attempts at upping the games speed into oblivion.

The Title of the file is JSW VL5 demo.tap. Which has a lot more graphics than JSW 128 VL5.tap

It does however display the fact it is a demo version.

• 4 weeks later...

I like the portal feature; it's a bit like saving snapshots in SPIN, except that the author (yourself) has some control over where the player is 'allowed' to save their progress.  (There's nothing to stop the player saving their own snapshots, of course, but this allows the player to complete the game without 'cheating' in that way, yet without having to go back to the start of the game repeatedly.)

It would also be a very handy feature for anyone playing the game on a real Speccy, where saving snapshots isn't an option.

What is the significance of the yellow sprite that appears on the status bar in, for example, the Banyan Tree in this project?  It looks like an arrow hitting a target, or a dartboard?

Edited by IRF

• 2 weeks later...

The delay in response is simply caused by having no knowledge that comments had been placed here.

The yellow target sprite. Signifies that objects collected in this room, will increase the rubber tipped darts catch that Willy fires at other sprites.
I am pleased that the icon I drew managed to convey what is was.... A dart hitting a dart board. 
(at no stage is another sprite harmed by being hit by these very soft rubber capped darts. All that happens is they are instantly transported to a safe place. To await re-emergence in the room)  

The version VL5 is old . The version I have now is considerably faster, and has several improvements.

The increase in speed is significant and I realised that rather than just slowing down the game when the slower modes are activated. It is just as easy to play the music.  This means that rather than the background clicking of a note, in the slow game versions, I play actual notes  (if music is turned off, it still uses the music routine, but sound output is disabled from the routine)

I have also added a new set of title graphics and a lot of other changes. No room or game layout changes.

The speed increase as stated is considerable, I am tempted to re-visit version VK and implement the changes to allow that to benefit from the change in logic. ( the amount of code change is vast - A couple of days work minimum, copying and changing routines from VL to VK. No plans to do in the near future )  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The speed increase was caused by wondering if I could change the format of JSW so that it plays  a full screen game. The bigger screen size would cause a possible 50% drop in speed. So I added some code to increase the game speed to compensate for a possible slow down. The previous statement does not indicate that the added code was actually a major change in how the game works. I was curious to see how much effort it would take to do this change and a demo version of Vl5 was written ----Expecting major problems ------ So I was pleased when I found that the basic idea worked, and it has subsequently been updated and improved. My speed standard , the double room walk, in this demo version can be done in 8.3 seconds. (the origin JSW takes 20 seconds) 

The tests conclude that a full screen game is an option. The problem for me is that the amount of change needed is, as always, considerable. Which is not really an option from the game data layout that I have at present. To implement a full screen game I would need to start back at the basic original code. 

To start again I would need to yet again construct an assembler listing that is relocatable. (*** note 1) For example taking Skoolkits listing, the source code generated is far from being a usable source listing for what I aim to do. There are  far too many fixed page references, and offsets specific to the game. These all need changing and this in itself is a big job. This I do by manually editing the code, line by line reference by reference. If you saw my listings you would see the difference in layout. I let the computer/assembler do the calculations.

The source code I generate from doing this is quite a lot different from what is seen in typical listings. Perhaps I should set my next task as being the output of a workable source code for JSW.  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note 1. When constructing my version of the source code, I always succumb to temptation and edit the code as I edit the layout. This means I have  never had an unmolested relocatable working source code.

, .  ! ,,, ...! .''...

Edited by Norman Sword