• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Spider

Spider

XOR (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 08:38 PM

A few pics from this version. I do have JSW1 'in progress' and am hunting for JSW2 I've seen it floating around so it will no doubt be found soon.

I had a bit of trouble getting this to run as I had to use the MESS emulator for it, the game image itself is fine just odd emulator issues it seems. Anyway it looks and plays identically to the Spectrum version really, I'd stick my neck out and say its closer to the Spectrum version than the Amstrad version is.

Interestingly it has the Software Projects 'Padlock' on it (thinking about it so does the BBC Micro version of MM as well)

The conversion itself was done by Cameron Else who also did the JSW conversion too. There is not really a lot else to add, the lives counter remains animated if the sound is turned off and there's a slight colour variation in the title screen 'keyboard' otherwise its the same. The screenshots of the levels are from the demo version.

Keypad:

0000.png

0001.png

Title:

0002.png

0023.png

0024.png

Game Over!

0025.png

0026.png

On with the levels themselves:

0003.png

0004.png

0005.png

0006.png

0007.png

0008.png

0009.png

0010.png

0011.png

0012.png

0013.png

0014.png

0015.png

0016.png

0017.png

0018.png

0019.png

0020.png

0021.png

0022.png

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#2 zub

zub

Space Marine

• Contributor
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:48 AM

Cameron Else also did the conversion of MM to MSX, which has very similar hardware to the Einstein. These both seem to be very faithful conversions of the Software Projects version of MM, perhaps arguably "perfect"? Unfortunately, the MSX port still suffers colour clash. I'm not sure the Spectrum versions of MM had any serious bugs, although there are a few documented engine glitches that are not of any real concern, and "Amoebatrons' Revenge" does have the funny non-conveyor, and I'm never sure if that's intentional. It'd be interesting to know if MM suffers colour clash on the Einstein.

Of course, it was Cameron Else and Ross Holman who won the prize for completing JSW on the Spectrum, having to fix the game in order to complete it. Else then did the ports of MM and JSW to MSX for Software Projects, and also to the Einstein, it would seem.

Edited by zub, 10 April 2015 - 02:50 AM.

#3 zub

zub

Space Marine

• Contributor
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:24 PM

I just found this post by Cameron(e) Else, which states “The MSX versions were also released for a machine that I think was called the Einstein, which used much the same hardware but had a floppy disc drive” and another which describes “conversion to the Einstein computer, which was a minor task, given the similarity of the hardware”. It seems reasonable to me, therefore, for both MM and JSW, to treat the MSX and Einstein versions as a single version.

#4 Spider

Spider

XOR (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,284 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:42 PM

Thank you for the great useful additional information. :)

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#5 zub

zub

Space Marine

• Contributor
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:35 AM

I’ve uploaded to a couple of videos of the MSX version to YouTube.

Title and demo mode:

Tool-assisted gameplay:

After I recorded the gameplay video I realised there’s a similar video on YouTube already, although mine’s somewhat shorter!

However, here’s something new: at 14:52 you can see Miner Willy landing on the fake conveyor belt in Wacky Amoebatrons. It’s still fake, but the animation is much more convincing.

The main difference is with the title music, in-game music, and ending scene.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: manic miner, msx, tatung, einstein

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users