Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Jsw MSX / Tatung Einstein

Spider

If you do the official 'Move' poke for it aka POKE 42183,11 it goes to The Hall (but as noted its still invisible) :)

Here is where it 'appears' if you apply that poke, I gave it a temporary shape simply so you can see it. Its X/Y position has not altered though that I note, only its screen appearance.

jsw_moved_first_landing_object.png

I would (guess) that perhaps it should of gone into Ballroom East instead simply as there is an item graphic already designed, then again there are several screens without objects that have item graphics already present.

I recall reading the Megatree was (apparently) supposed to be bigger too, it may be those unused screens were intended for that. I also recall very vaguely that the ending was not what was planned something about Willy dancing with Maria for an 'ending' hmm.

• 2 months later...

Played the msx version for the first time this morning,it is okay to be honest although slightly slower than the speccy verison and a little clunky (not smooth),I did notice a few different things as I explored such as there being no flash function on the scenery unless I was mistaken.

No, that does sound about right. :)

I need to refresh my memory with this version I'll try to re-install an emulator and play it later in the week.

• 2 months later...
  • One of the items on The Beach is intended for a different room, but the x-coordinate byte is correct. The y-coordinate may be correct, or may be eight squares too low.

The BeachBallroom West and Rescue Elmerelda are the only rooms not have have their items stored contiguously. As such, I would strongly consider the possibility of a second item on Above the West Bedroom or First Landing as items there precede and succeed the second item in The Beach.

In The West Bedroom/Above the West Bedroom, there is a rather tricky but ultimately futile ladder towards the left of the screens.  Is it possible that the extra item from The Beach was meant to go there somewhere?  Either that or the tricky climb is a red herring!

In The West Bedroom/Above the West Bedroom, there is a rather tricky but ultimately futile ladder towards the left of the screens.  Is it possible that the extra item from The Beach was meant to go there somewhere?  Either that or the tricky climb is a red herring!

I think it might be a red herring but you never know. I was thinking along the lines of the conveyor here that can lead to instant death if its used as its a sheer drop from it. :D

• 1 month later...

I think you can escape from that conveyor if you jump fast enough, which takes you back up to the under-the-eaves section of Above the West Bedroom.

I had another go at reaching the two little platforms on the far left side of AtWB, as I wasn't sure whether or not they were reachable by approaching from the right.  They aren't (although you can jump the other way to exit the upper of the two platforms rightwards.  The only way to get up there is to climb the ladder at the far left side of West Bedroom - which makes me wonder still if the extra item from The Beach should go up there somewhere?

Edited by IRF

Further to the above, I found an old magazine article/map on World of Spectrum which speculates along similar lines (except it suggests there may be an invisible object, and the annotation puts it lower down the ladder in West Bedroom - but it would make more sense from a challenging gameplay point of view to put it at the top of the ladder in Above the West Bedroom, or at least far enough up the ladder to be past the 'point of no return', necessitating the player to complete the climb after collection and then perform the tricky-but-doable jump from left to right underneath the security guard and wobbly jelly):

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/pub/sinclair/games-maps/j/JetSetWilly.jpg

Edited by IRF

Interesting thoughts. :)

The ladder climb is a thought although have you noticed you can lose a life if you hit your head on the 'ramp' sometimes ? (If climbing the ladder)

It would make sense to put an object in ATWB (on the platform) but that would in effect null the point of having the object that's already there. Hmm.