56 replies to this topic

#51 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:15 PM

JSWMM 'The MegaMix Edition' ? :D

It could well be  :D, although for me personally, for obvious reasons, "Megamix" in JSW games will be eternally associated with "JSW: The 2010 Megamix" (and its predecessor "JSW: The 2005 Megamix").

Perhaps we could call the game (I take it it has already been decided that it will be created :D) something along the lines of JSWMM 'The MaxItem Edition' or JSWMM 'The MultiItem Edition", to emphasise its most characteristic difference from the original?

#52 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 01:54 AM

I was not really sure on a name, I'd not given it a mass amount of thought. :)

My MegaMix thought came from Tech Ted I think, I do recall there being a JSW Mega game already.

Hmm.

'The MegaMax' ? :D

I did have one 'change' in mind but I'm not really sure how easy it would be to do but I think it would be really neat. That's something I wanted to discuss away from the public topic however ;) not for any reason other than not 'letting the cat out of the bag' with this idea early.

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#53 zub

zub

Space Marine

• Contributor
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

I have uploaded to YouTube a walkthrough of JSW for the MSX based on Geoff Neil’s route for his walkthrough of the Spectrum version.

It’s well worth reading the description and comments IMO as I describe some of the differences between this and the Spectrum version, and also I’ve explained a bit about the MSX Bee Card version.

Mine is tool assisted and I’m afraid there’s no commentary. It’s just to show the levels, really. The game is not completable as there is an item in Out on a limb that cannot be collected, due to the different physics for jumping through ramps. I therefore went to Entrance to Hades at the end, instead, as you would not normally see that screen in a walkthrough, as it is a deathroom.

Edited by zub, 02 November 2015 - 12:30 AM.

#54 IRF

IRF

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

I just had a look at that, the crucial jump seems to be at 10:17 (after which you abandoned trying to get the top left item in Out on a Limb).  Did you try the trick of jumping up on the spot then holding down left and jump simultaneously before he lands, to execute a left jump without first stepping forward by one pixel?

#55 zub

zub

Space Marine

• Contributor
  • 91 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

I just had a look at that, the crucial jump seems to be at 10:17 (after which you abandoned trying to get the top left item in Out on a Limb). Did you try the trick of jumping up on the spot then holding down left and jump simultaneously before he lands, to execute a left jump without first stepping forward by one pixel?

Yes. Believe me, I tried it a million times too. :-)

#56 zub

zub

Space Marine

• Contributor
  • 91 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 12:33 AM

Just to say, I’ve expanded the description to add time-offset links for each room, and also added some comments explaining the differences between this and the Spectrum version. I think most of it is here, and please do point out anything that is not, but it’s in a much more digestible form.

What is new is I’ve had a quick look at the Bee Card version and outlined the more substantial differences in a comment on that post. I won’t go into that too much here as this post is about Cameron Else’s MSX and Einstein versions.

#57 IRF

IRF

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 22 July 2016 - 01:41 PM

Oops, bad of me, I’ve been so very slow to respond!

Did we consider the possibility of swapping of the two co-ordinate bytes, and the effect that might have? I’ve forgotten what I learnt about the item table data format yet again, so I’ll have to learn it for the umpteenth time! :-)

Edit: have just checked the item table in the SkoolKit disassembly and it seems all 65,536 pairs of co-ordinate bytes would have a valid meaning, so I think I really had just failed to consider that possibility! We shall have to find out where the dodgy items would end up if their co-ordinate bytes were swapped. :-)

Not as slow as this response has been, Stuart!

Now that I've got my head around how the Item Table works, I think I can respond to the above query: if you were to swap round the two 'item definition bytes' of one of the double-items on The Beach, it would end up in Room 54 (West Wing), at coordinate (13, 26) - which would leave it imbedded in an Earth cell near the bottom-right corner of that room.  So we can rule that out!

Did you see whether it would fit well in any particular rooms if the object is moved eight squares up? (It can be moved to a different room and moved eight squares up with only a single poke.)

I remember I looked a while ago for a suitable location for the beach 'double' (using the same co-ordinates) but there were not that many suitable places surprisingly. :) As you've just re-mentioned I think the Y is likely off one block.

I'm assuming by this one 'square' ie 8x8 pixels rather than 8 blocks (that would probably leave very few choices) :)

Responding to Andy's point (again, rather late in the day!), I think Stuart was meaning 8 blocks above rather than 8 pixels/1 block - because the same ('upper') byte that stores the item's room number, also tells you which half of the room it is located in (i.e. top half or bottom half).  So there are two locations on the screen which share the same 'lower byte', and they are separated vertically by eight cell-rows.

Therefore, to complete the exercise (if anyone's still bothered!?), you'd have to go around the layout trying to place an item at coordinates (5,22) - the sixth cell-row down from the top, and the 23rd cell-column in from the left (because coordinates are counted starting from 0) - and see if anywhere looks sensible?

(I wonder if it would give Dr Jones' elephant a second tusk?)

Edited by IRF, 31 October 2016 - 11:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users