Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Bugfixed, completable versions of "The Down and Out Trilogy"

jetsetdanny

I am thrilled to announce that each of these three fines games by the DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!! (all released by his BaSe1 PrOdUcTiOnZ in 2002) can now be played to toilet-completion!  :D 

A huge thanks to the DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!! for his blessing for releasing these files!  :thumbsup:

The ZIP packages with the fixed (and also original) files can now be downloaded from the games' individual pages on JSW Central:

Skint Willy

Willy the Rogue

Still Stealin'

Please download and have a go at them! All three are beautiful, atmospheric games, with great sense of humour in the graphics and room names. The passage through each of them is a real journey, a true odyssey encompassing various stages each with its own character :).

The changes applied to the original files are explained fully in the enclosed Readmes.

I have also tried to upload the games to the Downloads section of this forum, but unfortunately I have come up against the message: "Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file". It also shows that the only kinds of file permitted to upload are: gif, jpeg, jpg, mpg, png.

This is not right, obviously, as other games are available for download as ZIPs. I think it may be a glitch which crept in after the site was restored after a short period offline earlier this year. I hope Andy will be able to fix it and I will add the uploads for all three games, along with the descriptions of the changes (pretty much copied from the Readmes) as soon as it's possible to upload ZIP files again.

Once again, thank you for your blessing for these files, DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!! , and I hope you will all enjoy them! :)

Edited by jetsetdanny

As it turns out, I was trying to upload a ZIP package with the game and Readme using the screenshots upload functionality! How stupid of me! :o Thanks to Andy for pointing that out.

I have now uploaded the three parts of the "The Down and Out Trilogy" to the Downloads section of this forum. You can download them from the following links:

Skint Willy

Willy the Rogue

Steal Stealin'

The download pages also feature descriptions (copied from the Readme files) of the changes applied to the original game files, plus some screenshots.

I should also mention that I have recorded the walkthroughs of all three files for RZX Archive. They haven't been uploaded there yet, but I have sent them off to Daren, so hopefully they'll become available for download over there soon.

I managed to complete:

"Skint Willy" - at 8.58 a.m. in-game time, with one life lost. This life has to be lost in "Conservatory Room", just as in the original JSW and its different variants, and so I did not think it was necessary to correct this - it is almost "customary" for the player to lose one life at this particular spot*.

"Willy the Rogue" - at 8.46 a.m. in-game time, with no life lost.

"Steal Stealin'" - at 9.01 a.m. in-game time, with no life lost.

* My personal ideal of elegance in a JSW game is that, no matter how hard it may be, it  should be possible to complete it without losing a single life. However, since I fixed "Skint Willy" based on the premise that only those issues need to be addressed which make the game incompletable, losing the life in "Conservatory Room" was not one of them.

Edited by jetsetdanny

So here they are. The RZX recordings of the Trilogy can be downloaded from the RZX Archive using the following links:

Skint Willy

Willy the Rogue

Still Stealin'

There are also links to YouTube videos over there, so you can watch the walkthroughs without actually downloading the RZX files and playing them back in an emulator :) .

Edited by jetsetdanny

• 4 weeks later...

Hey you guys you're welcome :)

After all these years, and shall I say some...or erm...several requests from Daniel....for possibly over a decade :p

I figured I'd release em' after his fixes. They needed it, and I didn't really have time to fix them myself especially not this year, so it would've been another dead zone, and like I said I was glad to give Daniel the go ahead to finish what I couldn't. I know Daniel has always liked those games since way back in the day, and his dedication to the JSW scene made him a perfect candidate for doing it, and I was glad to nominate him as the man who did.

Thank you very much Daniel by the way, it was a pleasure to make those games at the time, and it's an honour to have you fix the bugs, I genuinely mean that :)

Do keep an eye open though I'm still intent on trying to get those SE's I promised about 17 years ago out there, maybe one day eh? :lol:

Thank you for your kind words, DM! :)

It was a great pleasure to analyse and fix the three parts of your Down and Out Trilogy! :) Also to play them and record them for the RZX Archive! :)

The SEs will be very welcome when you find the time to prepare them. If you choose the JSW64 game engine for them, you will certainly be able to enhance the games in various interesting ways (such as switches, for example).

I posted about the fixed editions here and on the Yahoo! Group - whose content is sadly not online any more, I've just had a look - but not anywhere else. Would you like to announce the fixes on WoS and Spectrum Computing yourself, perhaps? I was thinking about doing this before the end of the year, but it would be even better if you posted about them yourself :).

I posted about the fixed editions here and on the Yahoo! Group - whose content is sadly not online any more, I've just had a look.

It seems that you're right about that Danny, sadly.  Funnily enough, I managed to post some messages on there, and view them, only on Sunday (the 15th, so after the supposed cut-off date of the 14th).  So I was hopeful that the site would remain in the same format as before (except for the inability to upload attachments, etc).  But it seems that that is not the case after all.  :(

However, some good has come out of the situation, because it has prompted several Yahoo Group 'veterans' to sign up here!  :)

Edited by IRF