Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Hello!

geoff

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but never mind. I'm the author of, among other things, "Willy Takes a Trip" and "ZX Willy the Bug Slayer", and I've come to join this community. Hello to you all!

Note: For various complicated reasons, it'd be good if you don't mention my surname here.

I don't know if this is the right place to put this, but never mind. I'm the author of, among other things, "Willy Takes a Trip" and "ZX Willy the Bug Slayer", and I've come to join this community. Hello to you all!

Note: For various complicated reasons, it'd be good if you don't mention my surname here.

Hi Geoff, and welcome! We've used your 'Patch Vector' concept in several games that we've released here at JSWMM!

Welcome, Geoff! :) It's great that you have joined this community!  :D

Thank you for wonderful contributions to the scene! They are greatly appreciated and have been a basis for further development of JSW games  :thumbsup: .

I am not sure how much you have been following the MM/JSW scene over the years, but - as Ian mentioned - your 'Patch Vector' concept has been used in various projects in the last four years, both in the form of your original PVs and numerous new ones.

Your documentation describing your PVs has been instrumental in this development - thank you for it as well!  :thumbsup:

From my personal perspective, the Special Edition of "Willy's New Mansion" is a project I would like you to know about and have a look at, if possible. It features a number of your PVs applied in various rooms, plus a number of new PVs developed especially for it. Due credit is given to you amply in the Readme, where there are also disassemblies of all of the PVs used, both the ones you designed (their disassemblies were created thanks to your documentation) and of the new ones. I know you once had a look at the Original Edition of "Willy's New Mansion" back in November 2004 (you told me that in an e-mail) - if you ever have a go at "WNM" SE it will be a whole new experience! I wonder if you would recognise your own PVs there... :)

Is it possible you will take up any JSW projects again? Shall we ever see the release of "Willy and the round tuits" or "Willy does the Great Pyramid"?  ;) 

Edited by jetsetdanny

Gosh, it's humbling to know that I hava

Hi Geoff, and welcome! We've used your 'Patch Vector' concept in several games that we've released here at JSWMM!

Welcome, Geoff! :) It's great that you have joined this community!  :D

Thank you for wonderful contributions to the scene! They are greatly appreciated and have been a basis for further development of JSW games  :thumbsup: .

I am not sure how much you have been following the MM/JSW scene over the years, but - as Ian mentioned - your 'Patch Vector' concept has been used in various projects in the last four years, both in the form of your original PVs and numerous new ones.

Your documentation describing your PVs has been instrumental in this development - thank you for it as well!  :thumbsup:

From my personal perspective, the Special Edition of "Willy's New Mansion" is a project I would like you to know about and have a look at, if possible. It features a number of your PVs applied in various rooms, plus a number of new PVs developed especially for it. Due credit is given to you amply in the Readme, where there are also disassemblies of all of the PVs used, both the ones you designed (their disassemblies were created thanks to your documentation) and of the new ones. I know you once had a look at the Original Edition of "Willy's New Mansion" back in November 2004 (you told me that in an e-mail) - if you ever have a go at "WNM" SE it will be a whole new experience! I wonder if you would recognise your own PVs there... :)

Is it possible you will take up any JSW projects again? Shall we ever see the release of "Willy and the round tuits" or "Willy does the Great Pyramid"?  ;) 

How humbling! It's good to know I have a legacy of sorts :-)

A potted history of what I've been up to since ZXWtBS: I started work on the Great Pyramid some time in 2004, but this ground to a halt before long and has been in creative limbo ever since. Every so often I think about reactivating it, but I have other Real Life things to worry about. I might, but I can't promise anything. I've also thought about further changes to Geoff Mode, but again, I need some round tuits.

I haven't really kept in touch with the MM/JSW scene since then, aside from occasional searches for my JSW games to see if anyone's said anything nice about them:-) I was deeply touched to find ZXWtBS on the list of "Best JSW mods" at the Manchester Expo, and that ultimately led to me joining up here.

I'll have a look at WNM when a convenient time presents itself; it sounds interesting!

Hello Geoff!

Strangely enough, I was thinking about using a patch vector on Saturday morning. I don't think I will, though. Dogmatic adherence to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for a more appropriate structure.

Indeed. But apathy, i.e. passive commitment, within an appropriate structure will effect its collapse :-)

It's good that you are here now, Geoff, and I hope that the forum activity will be an inspiration for you to indulge in some more JSW-related creativity.  :)

My replies to some of your comments are in green below:

Gosh, it's humbling to know that I hava

How humbling! It's good to know I have a legacy of sorts :-)

Yes, you do have a legacy! And it goes beyond the Patch Vectors. We mentioned them because they are so closely associated with you, but there are also other things.

There is one gamma-released game by a third party which uses Geoff Mode I as the game engine. It is Fucked Internet Resurrection - the third part of The Fucked Internet Trilogy by the DrUnKeN mAsTeR!!! (BaSe1 PrOdUcTiOnZ 2004, bugfix 2007).

Your technical solutions other than PVs have also been used in various projects. The Special Edition of "Willy's New Mansion", for example, uses  your "nice fuzzy border effect", your optimised code which draws ropes and your changes to the original JSW code which animate the items by eight colours (all duly credited in the Readme). I am currently working on a project whose nature I am not revealing until the release, scheduled for the beginning of March (if all goes well), and it also takes advantage of your optimised code which draws ropes.

A potted history of what I've been up to since ZXWtBS: I started work on the Great Pyramid some time in 2004, but this ground to a halt before long and has been in creative limbo ever since. Every so often I think about reactivating it, but I have other Real Life things to worry about. I might, but I can't promise anything. I've also thought about further changes to Geoff Mode, but again, I need some round tuits.

Judging by the word "other" which I highlighted in red above, you seem to consider JSW to be a part of Real Life. That's very nice! :)

I haven't really kept in touch with the MM/JSW scene since then, aside from occasional searches for my JSW games to see if anyone's said anything nice about them:-) I was deeply touched to find ZXWtBS on the list of "Best JSW mods" at the Manchester Expo, and that ultimately led to me joining up here.

The Manchester Expo was a very special time for JSW fans! Attached below is a picture I took of one of the computers there with ZXWtBS running on it :)

post-28-0-27518500-1580662901_thumb.jpg

I'll have a look at WNM when a convenient time presents itself; it sounds interesting!

That's great! :)

Yes you've landed in the 'right place' :) Welcome!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...