Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Cheat modes in JSW128

jetsetdanny

Unfortunately, a disassembly for the subroutine at #C4B6 (which picks up the location of the guardian tables, there being more than one of those in the JSW128 game engine) is not provided at
http://www.seasip.in...w/jswdiffs.html

For future reference, this is the code referred to above:

ORG #C4B6

29                              ADD HL,HL

ED 4B DF 80             LD BC, (#80DF)

09                              ADD HL,BC

C9                             RET

The guardian table for the current room is stored in a pair of bytes in the room definition at offset #DF-#E0.

So it seems that most of the released JSW64 engine games were built from one of the variants of 'Jet Set Willy 64' as a base file, all of which display the small visual bug in the Invincibility icon.  The only exception which I have found is John's 'Jet Set Willy 64: Manic Miner', which must have been developed separately at an earlier stage before the bug crept into the data.

"Jet Set Willy 64" and "Jet Set Willy 64: Manic Miner" were never gamma-released by John Elliott as TAP files. The gamma releases were in the form of installers. In that sense, "Jet Set Willy 64: Manic Miner" did not originate from "Jet Set Willy 64" (it was a separate installer). Hence it's understandable that a glitch which is in one of these projects fortunately avoided the other project.

Slightly off-topic: Danny, in the course of researching the above, I noticed that you don't appear to have an entry at JSWCentral.org for Andrew Broad's 'Manic Miner: Matthew Smith 2008 Remix' (which was released as a bonus with Andrew's 'Flash Manic Miner', and which formed the starting point - along with 'reniM cinaM' - for the JSWMM release 'Manic Mixup')?

I do. It's here.

"Manic Miner: Matthew Smith 2008 Remix" is a version of the original "MM", not a new game, in my classification.

Edited by jetsetdanny

I think its probably reasonable to say some of the relevant code is not listed on his site ? :) By that I mean not giving "it all away"

You are right that the code which activates the extra Cheat Mode is not provided in John's disassembly of the rest of his code changes for the JSW128 game engine.

I think you have one too many bytes in the sequence below.  Where I have highlighted four consecutive values of '1F', there are in fact only supposed to be three '1F's (at #C491-93).

1f 1f    no keys pressed
1d 1f   w
17 1f   r
1f 1e   p  
1f 1b   i
1f 1f    no keys pressed
17 1f   r
1f 1f    no keys pressed
17 1f   r
1f 1f    no keys pressed
1f 1d   o
1b 1f   e
1f 17   u
1f 1f    no keys pressed

Danny, further to the above, I would point out that correcting your error will mean that there are an odd number of data points in the above table.

So bear that in mind - "when a convenient time presents itself" - as you contemplate

the possible implications of that for the structure of the data...
Edited by IRF

• 4 weeks later...