Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner in 48k with 40 rooms

Norman Sword

I have revised the revised revision of the revised revisions for the keys/items explanation.  ( post #14 )

The revisions as explained below are specific to post #14

*** post #14 only deals with versions up to V5. further versions have the editor details along side the downloads in post #1 

The word Key if meaning a keyboard key - is preceded by the word keyboard.

The word Key if meaning a collectable Item is written as Item/key.

Addendum:- If it was necessary I can do dual usage of the "I" key

There is no conflict; changing (I)nk  is  not in conflict with changing (I)tems 

Edited by Norman Sword

Addendum:- If it was necessary I can do dual usage of the "I" key

There is no conflict; changing (I)nk  is  not in conflict with changing (I)tems 

Or you could use 'O' for Objects.  That isn't used for another purpose is it?  (Except as part of the ZHO key combination - out of interest, is there any deep meaning to that combo?)

Edited by IRF

Z H O key combination was just random keyboard keys- as far apart as possible and unlikely to be pressed by accident.

Some keyboard keys lock the keyboard and wait for release. So that group was excluded

---------------------------------------------

A list of the unused keys - at present that could be used as an item/object/key/etc 

Y O S G Z X V N + K (used now)

Y = 
O = Objects

S = Specials - Skeleton Key
I = Items           (duel usage)
G =  

Z =

X = specials (as in X marks the spot)
V = 
N =  
K = Keys

I have no hurry to change code 
------------------------------------------------------------------

A quirk on editing keys- remove all keys from the room and the portal will flash)

I added the ability to move the item/keys. The amount of code was a lot bigger than the available space. So as I stated on a previous post I used some of the unused graphic data.

The problem that exists for me is that the code has had nearly everything compacted, re written multiple times and re structured multiple times. Those compaction's of data and rewrites are what has enabled me to have 40 rooms in 48k.

For my own curiosity - - - - - - -  

I wondered how easy would it be to add more edit functions. The task of adding the code to enable such change's. First involves going through all the other code looking for areas that I can compact even further. When I have compacted further some of the code, I can then add more functions.

Having spent a day just looking at the routines , I managed additional re structuring and code re writes  to squeeze out a few more bytes 

;------------------------------------------------------

I have added the ability to display Willies start position

------------------------------------------------------

I have  added  the keyboard letter "P" 

This additional code letter "P" allows the portals to be moved on screen. Where "P" stands for portals

------------------------------------------------------

I have added the keyboard letter "N"

This additional code letter "N" allows the start position of willy to be moved.

-----------------------------------------------------

I have added the ability to turn Willy to face either way on room start.

-----------------------------------------------------

Just adding the code to respond to a keyboard key takes an accumulative larger and larger chunk of code. 

---------------------------------------------------

I can think of nothing I can add now that is feasible in terms of the amount of memory it would take to write. Each addition sounds like it would only take a simple key check to implement it into this editor. That is simply not the case.

For example when allowing the re positioning of portals. The x and y positions on the screen need checking for the edges. Simple checks, but the amount of code needed just grows and grows.   

The above additions have not been added to the program on post #1

I am reluctant to keep adding revisions. I normally have hundreds of updates for everything I write. So this update is being held back until such time as I feel it is the last one for some time.

Out of curiosity, if there is currently a key which toggles between 'Face Willy left at the start' and 'Face Willy right', could it easily be extended so that the same key progresses Willy's initial frame of animation through all eight possible options (four left-facing, four right-facing)?

Or would that require too much additional code?