Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Manic Miner in 48k with 40 rooms

Norman Sword

Shuffled the data around - Included the ability to change and store animation phase. (I do not like the code I wrote- so will re write) 

The above worked but not to my satisfaction.... 

Graphic trails was the only mode that updated the screen - sprites can pass over willy and make him disappear.

Fixing the rare occurrence of a sprite passing over willy is adding more and more code.

Whilst it is easy to write additional code - I do not have the space to do so.  

Jumped the gaping pit.

performed a quirkaflleg.

No closer to my goal

Edited by Norman Sword

I have added "Manic 40 Miner V3.Tap"  as an amended version to the end of post #1

I have revised the Manic 40 miner - editor keys in post #14 ---- Not much change

I will start with a WARNING.
If the program file is edited so that the first room is unplayable. Then going back to the title screen can cause a lockout of the editor.

The room needs to be drawn and the first loop of the game passed before the keyboard is scanned for both the cheat code, the cheat type in, and all the editor keys. If the sprites are set to start with a collision on the first room or Willy started over any Nasty graphic. Then death will occur before any other action can take place. This means that further editing and even game play can not proceed. If the start of any other room causes instant death then the editor is still reachable via any other room, and the problem area can be changed via editing. (hopefully)

It is the first room that can remove access to editing and for that reason editing the first room needs more care than any other room.

I will copy the  WARNING text into post #14

Noticeable change for V3
The last cavern has had a routine added that was rem'd out in my code. (a switch able room option) 

I assume that is noticeable that I redrew most of the title screen text. And changed yet again the title screen piano graphics.  

Edited by Norman Sword

Considering the origins of Manic Miner. (from Miner 2049'er). Every time I type the full file name I am thinking  Manic 49'er. So I guess that is why I would type Manic 49 Miner and not give it a second thought. 

Duly changed the second file  to Manic 40 Miner V3 in post #1 (deleted original and uploaded new version (just to correct file name))

Its taken a long time to change a file that started out as a test file with an addition and no plans on changing it. What it did show me was I needed far more space than what was left, after the data for 40 rooms was included.

Edited by Norman Sword

The original file was written in a week, mainly due to using the available space and copying routines I had written elsewhere.

As stated elsewhere the main purpose was to show how easy it is to extend past 20 rooms, with just a slight compression of the room data.

I added bits and pieces and posted the result V1,V2 and then V3.

Re visiting the file and playing around with editor, I became aware of the inability to progress past KONG. The Kong routine had been tested repeatedly and worked, yet try as I might, I could not get the second switch to trip without dying. Looking at the code gave no clues, until I spotted a line of code I had added at the very last minute to implement a red Kong as Kong fell. The simple instruction to change the colour. One instruction, also turned on sprite collision and instant death. So as can be imagined it took just changing the value of that one instruction to fix the problem.

Several other problems were found and removed

I rewrote a lot of routines, that gave up a few more bytes of memory.

I have used that space to add a mode 5 onto the four existing room edit modes

Mode five is a bit convoluted and not much help in editing a game. It was added because I could.

To enable mode five:- Stand on your left leg and using your right arm place your right elbow on your nose. with your left hand touch your left knee and chant "Jet set willy edit thee" 3 times. then...

Not as bad as the above, but close to it. Mode five allows very primitive and very very unhelpful changing of individual sprites in a room. This only allows the definition to be changed and does not adjust the sprites basic parameters to match.

So an improved version 4 with a few flaws removed is next.

Edited by Norman Sword

Attached to the end of Post #1 version V4

Changed text in Post #14 to reflect the change from earlier posts.

The amount of data that can be changed is immense, and every time I add something it reinforces to me the vast scope of options that can be edited and are not editable by this part game editor.

Quick list:-
Portals colour- definition
sprites phases - colour - direction - min - max - start -step -colour change - adding - deleting
specials Skylab - phases - sound - direction - min - max - step
specials Eugene - phases - min - max
specials lightbeams - any activations
music speed
room names
editing sprite definitions

editing portal definitions

Etc

Perhaps the space occupied would be better suited to game additions after I actually created a proper set of rooms.

I tried editing the guardian in V4.  I managed to successfully change the sprites for a guardian (i.e. the pixel pattern which is drawn), and that change persisted once I left the editor.

I could also change the colours of guardians within the editor, but when I went to exit the editor and play the game, the colours reverted.

So for example, in Central Cavern you can have a yellow penguin replacing the yellow robot patrolling along the green conveyor.  But you can't change that to a red penguin (well, you can in the editor but not in the game itself).