Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Safe ropes PV/Tweak

Spider

Maybe a PV maybe not.

I don't have a lot of time to describe this idea in detail but the summary of it is quite easy, if Willy falls from a room and the room below has a rope, it should swing towards him.

A good example here is on the default game falling from Orangery into Swimming Pool or Watch Tower and Quirkafleeg,  pick the wrong side of the platform and its over!

The change would simply ensure the rope swings in his favour, that being towards him. No attempt should be made to alter the rope length or swing limits, so if he falls near the far edge of the screen it won't catch him.

I did wonder what effects that might have if it was applied globally, by that I mean if the rope routine detected M.W's entrance into the room and swung the rope that way even when entering near the lower part of the screen. It might be easier (but more work?) if the 'change' only took effect if he had entered the room from above perhaps.

Just a thought. :) I have not looked into how practical this would be to do.

I've just checked, and yes, in 'Pool Party' in 'Jet Set Mini', the rope starts off swinging leftwards if Willy enters the room in the left half of the room, and starts off swinging rightwards if Willy enters into the right half of the room.

It is necessary to drop down from The Orangery on both sides of the rope, in order to collect two of the items in that game.

Edited by IRF

It does make good sense to think about this in any future JSW projects though, as you could consider it to be 'lack of player judgement' or an unfair IDS. The latter would really only apply if depending on the map layout the player could not 'see' the room below with the rope at any point aside from 'dropping in' :)

On a technical level, Bit 4 of the lower byte of Willy's attribute coordinates is tested on entry to the room, and the result applied to Bit 7 of the first byte of the rope definition.

In theory then it would not actually take "a lot" to do this. :) Thanks.

I do feel it would be quite useful, perhaps as mentioned more in a third party game where you cannot see the room below unless you fall into it. Having said that tweaking the stock game to do this would also be good, applied along with the tiny adjustment to prevent an invalid "top exit" rope situation (The Beach and On The Roof) would be ideal as a 'combination fix'

Edited by Spider