Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Playing around.

Norman Sword

All room times set :- I should play through again but I am not that willing.

Speed factors set as 8 - 6 - 4  and trainer 3

ACE MODE

The speed setting of 8 gives just enough time to finish. It is the time taken by me plus a few air bar segments  .Since the air bar is progressive in nature. A few segments can be as many as a hundred frames. Instant death if touched. This speed option is not available until the game has been finished once in normal or expert mode.  

EXPERT MODE

based on the ACE MODE.  This mode gives around 20% more time. This mode can be selected from the start. Instant death if touched

NORMAL MODE

based on the ACE MODE. This mode gives around 30% more time. This mode can be selected from the start. Permits the occasional touch. One less sprite in the room

TRAINER MODE

based on the ACE MODE. This gives around 100% more time.  Which normally gives a lot of time. This mode can be selected from the start. The air bar is always set to full for the start of any room. In Later rooms the setting to full is not as big an advantage when the air bar needs to be set to a high level anyway. This mode permits quite a few touches in early rooms. Also less sprites to block path and slow progress

Each mode depletes the oxygen bar at a different speed. The Maths involved in the time taken is skewed slightly (deliberately so)  to adjust the times overall. This has allowed me to set the highest possible air bar in difficult rooms.  Otherwise the full height of the air bar would never be needed and the changes in speed between the various levels becomes too great.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Final game version accessible via  This Link

Edited by Norman Sword

VERSION 0001.0

This is a full game based on the continuation of the story

FULL SCREEN GAME PLAY

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

All version have been replaced by the latest version

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1st version MP_0001.TAP - 10 downloads

3 basic versions of play, immediately available

1) Trainer mode - lots of air and allowance for sprite contact, nasty contact and falls. Very slow air depletion - no end game

2)  Normal mode - fixed amount of air and allowance for sprite contact, nasty contact and falls. Moderate speed air depletion - game  can be completed to end game

3)  Expert mode - very little air. Just enough to finish  a cavern. All contact and falls kill. Very rapid air depletion.- game can be completed to end game

4)  ACE mode - only available after completing the game in Normal or Expert mode. Faster air depletion than ACE - no time to look around

Each mode has its own high score

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd version is Mp_0001C.TAP - 10 downloads

This is basically the above game with a final end of game bonus

Bonus

end game bonus 1000 for each life in Normal

2000 for each life in Expert

3000 for each life In ACE

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

third version was MP_0001T,TAP - 7 downloads

This was an expansion exploring the dark light basic concept. This version takes the original idea and expands into a playable version.
The two extra options, lantern and candle are playable. The lantern version more so than the candle version. The biggest challenge will be the inability to see the solar light beams.

In the candle version the clock stops when ever Willy stops moving.

In Lantern and Candle version the beam of light can be rotated when static using the keys "H" and "K" for one direction and "J" and "L" the other direction.

Due to more  options  available in this technical demo - the end game bonus is also increased.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version 4 Mp_v12.tap --- 5 downloads

Fixes several design quirks.

Modes of play

1)  Trainer mode - lots of air and allowance for sprite contact, nasty contact and falls. Very slow air depletion - no end game

2)  Normal mode - fixed amount of air and allowance for sprite contact, nasty contact and falls. Moderate speed air depletion - game  can be completed to end game

3)  Expert mode - very little air. Just enough to finish  a cavern. All contact and falls kill. Very rapid air depletion.- game can be completed to end game

4)  ACE mode - only available after completing the game in Normal/Expert/Lantern/Candle Faster air depletion than ACE - no time to look around

continuation of modes - the following two modes incorporate a beam of light from Willies helmet lamp

5)  Lantern mode - same time as Normal. background is blue-ed- allowance for sprite contact, nasty contact and falls. Moderate speed air depletion - game  can be completed to end game

6)  Candle mode - same time as Expert mode - background is blacked out. clock stops on no movement. All contact and falls kill. Very rapid air depletion.- game can be completed to end game

Rotate the light beam in Lantern/Candle by pressing "H"-"K" or "J"-"L" when Willy is static

Each mode has its own high score

Since this incorporates every change that has been written into the above separate versions. Those old versions have been deleted.

1  fixes blue-ing of the  portal when passing in front in candle and torch mode.

2 increased compression of data.

3 added an on screen version number on the title screen.

4 updated the light rotate on torch mode. Forces beam change on static turn.

5 numerous small changes.

6 changed title screen animation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and for the observant a possible update which only affects candle mode

Version 4 Mp_v13.tap

post-125-0-50308200-1593619367_thumb.png

mp_V12.tap

mp_V13.tap

Edited by Norman Sword

Completed the latest version in Expert mode.  Better score than last time.  :)

I presume the bonus points available for making the red UFO fall on the final screen are fewer than for the Kongs, because the UFO doesn't descend as far from its initial position?

post-63-0-65659100-1592908092_thumb.png

Edited by IRF

:1st:

The Bonus points for Kong's fall was increased from the previous version. The height of fall does dictate the amount of bonus given.

The move to Ace will/should give even less score. Due to having less time. The difference should not be a great deal. The time allowed on one or two screens is generous. This was because I have a list of the times taken for each screen. And in some cases I had to ignore the faster times i had written down. Simply because I was concerned that i might have changed something that allowed the faster time. If I had then used the faster times, the completion of some screens might have been impossible.

Although strictly speaking I have completed every room first in every case.

Edited by Norman Sword

I should say that I had to sacrifice a life in 'Attack of the Mutant Telephones', because I went round and then realised that I had left one item uncollected which I couldn't then reach in order to complete the cavern.

I had been playtesting on QAOP which seems to preserve only the most recent rollback point, and I had used rollback at a point in Mutant Telephones which was 'past the point of no return'.  So whilst elsewhere I managed to complete the screens without loss of life via Rollback, in the Telephones cavern I wasted a life.

The upshot of this is that my final score will be slightly inflated by the fact that I collected all the items in Mutant Telephones twice (bar the one item which I couldn't reach first time round).

It would be possible to inflate the completion score more significantly, if you triggered Kong falling in one of the Kong screens (and collected all the items) and then sacrificed a life before reaching the portal - and if you did that for all of your lives bar the last one.

Idea: It might be possible to avoid that scenario if you could 'roll back' the accrued score every time you lost a life to the score which you had upon entry to the current cavern.  That way, the final score would truly represent how efficiently you completed the game, and it would not be skewed by losing lives and partially repeating caverns.

Idea: It might be possible to avoid that scenario if you could 'roll back' the accrued score every time you lost a life to the score which you had upon entry to the current cavern.  That way, the final score would truly represent how efficiently you completed the game, and it would not be skewed by losing lives and partially repeating caverns.

Multiple expansions on the highest score.

Give only one life.

State number of lives used.

Give a big bonus for lives not used.  <<< this being probably the easiest to do; Bonus of 10,000 per life.

Edited by Norman Sword

Is a life still awarded for collecting 10,000 points?  (If indeed it is even possible to collect that number of points, given that the game doesn't go back to the start after the Final Barrier, so there's a maximum theoretical number of points available.)