Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Spectrum release preference

Spider

I wonder why most (if not nearly all) third party modifications to Manic Miner use the Bug-Byte variant instead of the Software Projects one.

I realise the BB release came before the SP one, but the latter does fix up a couple of small issues main one being the joystick control for an Interface2

I consider the disassembly however some early mods may of appeared before this was out and about, I've not checked dates on that though. I do plan a difference file with skoolkit to create an SP version of it at some future point too, it is on my radar so to speak.

Unless it was down to sheer numbers of tape sales, as there are/were more BB MM tapes about, I can recall this from B.I.T.D too, I never saw a SP version for the Spectrum in the shops, whereas nearly all the other versions were (the reason for that is they were only released by SP) , also if you take a look at a non-ZX site for -ahem- "game downloads" and grab a Spectrum version or two of MM, chances are they will be the BB version.

:unsure:

This is partly why the last few MM variants out the door here have been SP based as it really needs a bit more airing I think. I'm not saying its superior in any way as the changes are relatively small all-in-all but they are appreciated ones.

I have the SP original version of MM on my shelves here. I prefer the SP version of it just down to the JSW continuity I guess, and as

stated, there were a few changes / improvements, didn't a few sprites change? I know it will all be listed somewhere.

The code changed a bit (as well as teleport code) to allow the IF2 joystick to work properly, really this means changing it from the 'Cursor' joystick to the Interface2 standard.

Talking of code the source remnants in the BB version are replaced in the SP version with a repeating pattern of 00/FF (000,255) , bear in mind most of the code is not in quite the same place in the SP version!

Teleport code changed. Active key moved from 6 to 9 because 6 is used by the IF2 (its in theory used by cursor too but it signals "down" so its not used in MM as such)

Scrolling message changed as well as loader with attribution details. The sprite differences are not huge the main game sprite changes are:

A missing pixel in the title screen / Final Barrier in M.W's car windscreen frame is filled in. This is not a common thing to be noted!

The fire and item cells in Processing Plant are different , this is also not always noted!

The vertical guardians in Amoebatron's Revenge are different

The vertical guardians in The Warehouse are different

Code below 33902 is identical between versions (aside from char changes)

Code above 33718 is identical between versions (aside from sprite changes etc)

Code between these is either 6 , 11 or 13 (accurately it should say 6 then 13 then 11) bytes higher up

See this topic for a bit more info on the loaders if curious.

External links with more details can be found here and here if required. :thumbsup:

As an aside in other platforms, there are some screen changes too. In particular the BBC Micro version has a completely different full screen Final Barrier and no Solar Power, replaced with 'Meteor Storm' iirc. There are screenshots of all this (for most platforms) in various topics in the JSW section if curious.

One other thing, the MAD (Mastertronic) re-release is missing a pixel on the horizontal guardian on Final Barrier. This is because the byte is missing from the tape file! :D

Apart from that and the tiny Basic loader changes (and screen changes) the SP and MAD versions are identical "code" wise. All ZX 'official' re-releases are based on the SP version however.

My goodness, that is very thorough, thank you for the information. I knew something changed with the Amoebatrons. I

had it in my mind the telephones changed too, or The Bank or something, but no matter. That is top work!

Most welcome. :) I did plan a selection of differences with various parts of the game (most machines) but its not a quick job unfortunately.

For now ( as this took longer than I thought :lol: ) here are the above visual differences, apart from the missing pixel in MAD/Venta Final Barrier.

Bug Byte is left screenshot, Software Projects is right screenshot.

Title Screen

The missing pixel on the car windscreen frame on the BB version:

mm_bb_sp_title.png

Processing Plant

The different item UDG graphic and the different Fire Cell UDG on the conveyor. The latter is sometimes overlooked:

mm_bb_sp_pp.png

The Warehouse

The different vertical guardians. The SP ones represent the Software Projects 'impossible triangle' logo:

mm_bb_sp_wh.png

Amoebatrons' Revenge

The different vertical guardians:

mm_bb_sp_amr.png

The screenshots were taken up immediate entry into each cavern by inserting a breakpoint to stop code execution immediately upon it being 'ready' as such, this way you get the first real full screen 'frame' of it all. The only 'manual tampering' with the images aside from joining two together with a 4px white border between them was to remove the teleporter boot and set all the air bars to be identical, simply for neatness's sake. :D

Definitive that! I wonder if M. Smith ever said anything about this, that he had gone back and tweaked the code, or someone else

maybe who did it? Presumably he did it himself, I wonder why really? At this point JSW must have been in the preparation stage

at least. I do like the ghost on the conveyor belt, that is a nice touch and doesn't seem familiar to me I will check next time I play

the original.

I do like the ghost on the conveyor belt, that is a nice touch and doesn't seem familiar to me I will check next time I play

the original.

The ghosts are from Pac Man, to match the Pac Man style guardians. The item shapes are supposed to be bunches of cherries too I think, to match the theme.

Edited by IRF