Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

JSW Central

jetsetdanny

I am pleased to announce a significant update of JSW Central. All MM games now have their individual pages with some basic information, download links and screenshots of all the caverns and loading screens. Eventually all JSW games will have such pages as well, but it will take time.

"Highest documented scores" for each game are mentioned on these individual pages, referring to performances for which there exist RZX recordings showing the whole process of achieving the score. The recordings are hosted either on RZX Archive or as "JSW Central Specials". The absence of a JSW Central Special download for any given game indicates that the recording of the best known performance is hosted on RZX Archive.

I would like to encourage anyone interested to send me RZX recordings showing the achievement of higher scores than these currently hosted. I will be pleased to make them available for download as JSW Central Specials (new ones or substituting the currently hosted files) with all due credit given in the text files.

Apart from the addition of individual MM games' pages, various minor updates have happened throughout the site as well.

Further significant development of JSW Central will probably have to wait until next year, as my JSW priority now will be work on Willy Games: The First 30 Years Quiz.

• 5 months later...

The release of "TNE" is mentioned in Chronology.

However, the game doesn't appear on the Game list, because it doesn't fit in any of the categories present there, being a remix of the original which doesn't claim to be a new game.

I will probably create such a category In the future, for remixes and various versions of the original JSW.

• 1 year later...

The Chronology pages for 2014, 2015 and 2016, and the PDF file have just been updated on JSW Central. The 2016 update concerns the most recent developments. The 2014/15 update fixes an error: the original release date of "Jet Set Luis: Rumbo a la Costa Blanca" was mistakenly placed in 2014, while in fact it took place a year later.

• 4 weeks later...

JSW Central has been updated. The main change is that "Jet Set Willy II" has been included in the main list of JSW games, as a separate category. So the list now embraces the following categories of games:

I. Manic Miner (MM)

II. Jet Set Willy (JSW48)

III. Jet Set Willy II

IV. Jet Set Willy 128 (JSW128)

V. Jet Set Willy 64 (JSW64)

"Jet Set Willy II" was previously the first entry in the secondary list "Games of MM and JSW interest". However, having given it some thought after the recent attention I devoted to the game because of its new incarnation "Jet Set Willy II+", I have decided that it is unfair for one of the most important games of the genre to be on a secondary list. So now it has a separate category on the main list, even though it is the only entry there at the moment ("Jet Set Willy II+" being a kind of Special Edition, and therefore not meriting a separate entry). Time will tell whether or not, thanks to JSWED, new games using this particular game engine will be created.

The original "JSW" and "JSWII" now have their individual pages, with download links (including one leading to this forum  :)) and screenshots of all screens in each game (including all "JSWII+" Ver. +e.22 screenshots). 

Links to YouTube videos of the RZX walkthroughs have been added on all individual pages of MM games (except for "Manic Miner: Jet Set Willy" which I think doesn't exist on YouTube yet  :o).

The Links page has been revised and updated.

External links now open in new tabs.

The website is work in progress, of course, and will be developed gradually :) .

• 8 months later...

I've just noticed that JSW Central isn't displayed correctly in Google Chrome. The "basic text" seems to be missing, with only the links displayed. The graphics are displayed partially, some do show, others don't.

The site is displayed correctly in Edge and Internet Explorer AFAICT. I don't know about Firefox, because I don't have it installed on any of the computers I'm using, although I was told some time ago that it wasn't displayed correctly there (checking it is one of the things on my to do list).

I've no idea where the problem with Chrome comes from. If anyone has any thoughts about it (and, especially, how to fix it), please let me know! :)

Edited by jetsetdanny

I am extremely pleased to let you know that the problem has been solved TTBOMK  :D .

It nagged at me, and I couldn't help thinking about it. And so I tried searching on the internet for a possible solution (didn't find it), revised the Chrome updates to see what has changed between the versions that displayed the pages of JSW Central correctly and the current one (it didn't help), and then I installed Firefox Developer Edition and played with the "Inspect Element" function. And I just happened to come across the solution :).

It was to delete "color: #0000;" from the properties of "body" in the template.

I don't understand what the problem was (#0000 being the colour black, isn't it?), but the solution apparently works. I believe the page is displayed correctly in all major browsers now; certainly it is the case in Chrome and in Firefox, where previously the text didn't show  :thumbsup: .

Please let me know if you should notice any problems in any of the browsers.

Edited by jetsetdanny