Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Jswed2 Suggestions

Spider

I have noted you can confuse JSWED if you re-arrange the caverns, as in manually change the hard-coded parts for special rooms. I've never really had a need to use the 'patch' or JSWED's options to do this I've found it easier manually somehow.

You can sometimes end up with a phantom green guardian in Central Cavern or if you're unlucky another one (this one causes an IDS) in Ore Refinery, but the latter is quite rare. :)

• 1 year later...

One thing that was posted in the FB group:

I could not see a way to do this with JSWED (I did it manually) , allow multiple object placements in the same position.

I think it either already supports this and did not know how to do it (tried CTRL etc) or its not available.

The code does seem there at least to me because if you view Beach in JSW then JSWED correctly identifies there are two objects in the same x/y co-ordinates with a "2"

• 11 months later...

I've not seen it mentioned in the documentation but if you view the room/cavern editor screen and press F8*** , you get a full set of room 256x128 .png's generated. It will only generate them from the standard room addresses, so you get 63 of them.

***Noted by accident when wanting to tweak a start frame of a guardian, pressed F8 rather than 8 along with ALT , but the latter not needed for this 'feature'

20 hours ago, Ligan said:

That could be useful but I can't tell where it generates the files.

Not sure I follow what you're saying sorry. 🙂

It will just export what (was) in JSW 49152 to 65535 as created room images or 45056 to 65535 in MM

I meant if you move the room data up a bit (lower address) it won't export them. To be fair it won't edit them either. Last time I did that as a test I got them "right" first then moved it all. A check with one of the easily tweaked JSWED Basic programs confirmed all was OK.

2 hours ago, Spider said:

Not sure I follow what you're saying sorry. 🙂

It will just export what (was) in JSW 49152 to 65535 as created room images or 45056 to 65535 in MM

I meant if you move the room data up a bit (lower address) it won't export them. To be fair it won't edit them either. Last time I did that as a test I got them "right" first then moved it all. A check with one of the easily tweaked JSWED Basic programs confirmed all was OK.

When I press F8, I just see all the rooms flashing really fast. I don't get image files created on my computer after though or they're well hidden.

Ligan, the PNG screenshots appear in the same folder where JSWED saves the edited game files. If you use Windows, it should be at: C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\JSWED2, where "Username" is the username you have in Windows.

If you can't find it there, just do a search for a file called 046.png (or any other room from 000.png to 063.png) on your entire HDD. Once you find it, open the file location and you will be in the folder where JSWED saves everything 🙂 .

Danny beat me to it, however I was going to say (I thought about it when I was away from the computer) if perhaps you had JSWED in Program Files it may not have permission to write there, unless the program executable itself has permission to run as an admin (in general, I tend to say only do this if its needed by the program to actually run). I'm assuming you're using a Windows version.

For me I have the JSWED folder on the desktop itself, where it can write into its own folder without issue.

@jetsetdanny Were you aware of this "feature" ? 🙂