Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

New (2015) Ti-99/4a conversion of JSW

8bit

Yes, I found the Watch Tower teleport "feature" in Rasmus' version but remembered I accidentally triggered this in the ZX Spectrum version back in the day, so I didn't report this as a bug.

Rasmus has included the April Showers screen from Your Sinclair in the new version. Being a purist, and knowing there are tens of versions out there which have modified or added to the original screens, I'd prefer a version which retains only the original rooms and objects but I'm not the author. It's Rasmus' game and he's doing a fantastic job of it, so I'm not complaining.

I informed him that his version has a visible object, requiring manual collection in The Swimming Pool. In the original release, this was auto-collected on first entry but Rasmus has decided to keep his as it stands. Again, I'm not going to complain. I'm just happy he's taken the time to write what I think is one of the best conversions available of this timeless classic.

He's already made a LOT of changes based on my feedback (including making the object on The Beach register as TWO items when collected) and the game is much more stable and playable than it was when he announced his first beta only a few days ago.

I'd be interested in playing the fixed, custom version when you're ready to release it.

And yes, please list the fixes you've made. I'd also be interested to know what changes you've made to enhance the original.

Edit: Incidentally, I'm typing this on a laptop, sat on top of an Acorn BBC Model B, which is currently running the Tynesoft Beeb conversion of JSW.

Edited by 8bit

:) No problem.

I have several B versions, the original 'tape' one (on a .dsk) which is more or less normal.

The JSW 2 versions vary a bit, I concluded there are just two actually (even though most are .dsk images now) , in essence a 'tape' version and a 'disk' version.

The tape version is massively cut down to fit, the 'In Space' section is about complete but the mansion has had a severe chop. The 'disk' version is about the same as the CPC/Spectrum/C64 version with all screens more or less there. It loads each section from disk as you progress so there's a slight delay.

Some of these versions have cheats on but as far as I'm aware I have the only (working) copy of an immunity version of the 'full disk' version of JSW2 for the BBC, as the patched versions elsewhere ie stardot etc seem to be the cut down version.

Regarding the 'updated' version you should now have access as I've moved you to the contributor group for your submissions (thank you!) :)

• 3 months later...

The other thing you may want to think about is the Watch Tower, the reason Willy ends up in Off Licence after jumping off the top is the room for 'up' is either undefined or set at 1 (Off Licence) again this was fixed in the 'custom' version. The fix was very easy actually, simply shorten the ramp by one block and then move the conveyor down by one block. This way willy cannot jump heigh enough to exit the screen via the top hehe. :D

The problem with this fix, unless I am mistaken, is that without the ability to jump upwards and teleport to the Offy, there is no way to escape from the top platform of the Watch Tower other than by entering an infinite death loop.

Unless you extend your newly lowered platform laterally towards the right of the screen and allow Willy to jump into the Belfry (see my post http://jswmm.co.uk/topic/76-new-jsw-2015-bug-fixed-edition/?p=354).

Edited by IRF

That is true, well partly.

If you get on the conveyor (either in the original or the fixed version) and do not jump you will lose a life.

It should not go into an infinite death loop though unless you jump and miss the lower platforms of the Watch Tower itself, I mean by this if you fall off the ramp off the screen.

So in your version there's no way down from the top without at least losing a life?  Or can you survive if you jump and land on the object that's perched on the right-hand side of the lower platform?  (Maybe if the top was lowered another notch that might be possible?  Although the risk is that you jump too far and face infinite deaths.)

• 1 month later...