Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

New (2015) Ti-99/4a conversion of JSW

8bit

Hi

This is my first post here but I thought your community might like to know that even in 2015 there are still people writing new conversions of Matthew's epic game.

Over on the AtariAge forums, Ti coder Rasmus Moustgaard has just released a new conversion for the Texas Instruments Ti-99/4a, based on the ZX Spectrum original.

Rasmus has made some fantastic conversions to the Ti in recent years. Sabre Wulf (again, based off the Spectrum original) was his last completed project.

I've been playing his Ti conversion of JSW non-stop for the last couple of days and have assisted in fine-tuning Rasmus' code. He's since made a couple of updates based on my feedback.

Feedback from others would be welcome as Rasmus is something of a perfectionist and coming from JSW enthusiasts would only improve matters further.

Having played only the ZX Spectrum version until discovering emulation, I'm very biased toward the Sinclair original but the new Ti version is an almost perfect conversion which seems to be improved by smoother sprites. Even in its complete yet beta stage, it might become my preference over the ZX original.

The final release version, which will run on emulators or real hardware can be found over at the AtariAge forums at the link below.

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/238043-jet-set-willy/?p=3242035

post-34-0-54644800-1431217669_thumb.png post-34-0-28265200-1431217670_thumb.png post-34-0-99872200-1431217670_thumb.png post-34-0-65398000-1431217671_thumb.png

Edited by 8bit

As it's still in beta, Rasmus is dropping updated releases based on user feedback. Be sure to check back regularly.

I really do think I prefer this new Ti version to the original ZX Spectrum release.

Incidentally, Rasmus has also coded a fantastic ONLINE (Java) Ti-99/4a emulator into which you can upload the JSW.DSK (disk-image) and play it.

Download the latest JSW disk-image from the Atariage forum thread linked above and unzip it to reveal the file JSW.DSK, then head on over to http://js99er.net/ (the home of Rasmus' online Ti-emulator).

Click the button marked "OPEN DSK/TIFILES" below the main emulator screen and select the file JSW.DSK you just downloaded.

Click the START button to begin the Ti-99/4a emulator.

As the game is a binary file on a Ti-formatted disk image, you'll need to run it via the (option 2) Editor/Assembler, so press number 2.

From here, select option 5 "RUN PROGRAM FILE", then type the name of the file exactly "DSK1.JSW" [without quotes], followed by Return.

The game should load in a second or two and can be played using O,P for left and right and the spacebar to jump.

Have fun playing the latest conversion of Jet Set Wily and be sure to drop-in to AtariAge to say thanks to Rasmus.

Edited by 8bit

In the games current (beta 2) stage, there are currently a few places this happens.

At one point though, I jumped from one of the upper platforms in the "Rescue Esmerelda" screen and ended up in the Ballroom East. I figured this was a bug until it was pointed out the ZX Spectrum release had the same "feature". Talk about an authentic conversion?!

In the games current (beta 2) stage, there are currently a few places this happens.

At one point though, I jumped from one of the upper platforms in the "Rescue Esmerelda" screen and ended up in the Ballroom East. I figured this was a bug until it was pointed out the ZX Spectrum release had the same "feature". Talk about an authentic conversion?!

Ah that yes. :) , I've always considered it a bug or something Matt left in by accident to be honest: i.e. more a 'teleporter' feature which does not make logical sense in the way the mansion layout. My custom version of JSW (only available currently to Contrib group until we're happy with it) does not have this 'feature'

jsw_2015_fixed_rescue_esmerelda.png

The other thing you may want to think about is the Watch Tower, the reason Willy ends up in Off Licence after jumping off the top is the room for 'up' is either undefined or set at 1 (Off Licence) again this was fixed in the 'custom' version. The fix was very easy actually, simply shorten the ramp by one block and then move the conveyor down by one block. This way willy cannot jump heigh enough to exit the screen via the top hehe. :D

jsw_2015_fixed_watch_tower.png

I can list the changes made to this version if you want as I tried very hard to not 'modify' the game in any way that was really noticeable but at the same time fix obvious (and some not so obvious) issues.