File Name: JSW 2015 Bug Fixed Edition
File Submitter: Spider
File Submitted: 30 May 2015
File Category: JSWMM ReleasesSystem: Sinclair
Original Author(s): Matthew Smith
Third Party Author(s): Andy Ford
Here's a jswmm special. A bug fixed edition of the original Spectrum version. The following changes were incorporated:
1. Black instead of blue initial loading page, the reason for this is (2) , it still retains the 'beeps' however they are played after the message not before.
2. New loading screen to replaced the 'loading' message present on the normal variants. It is compressed to save much time (down to 1485 bytes from 6912)
3. To further save loading time, the main code was also compressed (reduced from 32768 to 22459 bytes)
4. The decompress routine purposely returns to basic so it's easily savable as a standard 32768,32768 if desired. Also permits easy POKE entering too. Loader (used BlockEdit to display as it did not fit into one Spectrum screen) ignore odd spacing it looks fine in reality:
5. Built a ready-made Microdrive version and a +3 disk image as well. Identical to the tape version except a minor filename change for the disk due to +3DOS limitations.
6. The keypad entry was disabled as it seems superfluous these days.
7. Auto-pause has been disabled to prevent a lock-up when using an Interface 1. You can still pause the game via the usual keys but it will not 'auto pause' , also a patch was applied to prevent said lock-up if the user decides to pause the game for any reason.
8. The code that causes the in-game tune to deteriorate with each loss of life was disabled. Although intentional I've always considered it a bug in some way. I also noted (Thanks Skoolkid) that the length of each note slightly increases too with each life loss.
9. The otherwise invisible and unreachable object in the First Landing was given a form and simply moved down a few characters to enable it to be collected. This 'fix' replaces the official Software Projects fix of moving it to The Hall (where it would still be invisible) , this seems a better fix in some ways as the object is kept on the screen it was intended to be displayed on.
10. The official Software Projects 'fix' for The Banyan Tree was retained. This simply involves changing an earth cell to an air cell so the tree is climbable.
11. The official Software Projects 'fix' for The Attic was also retained with a minor alteration. The staring position of one arrow was altered slightly so that both arrows actually appear and function as was originally intended. Some 'fixes' for this it was noted remove one arrow completely.
12. The minor auto collect bug when Willy enters the Swimming Pool was fixed. There are a few ways of rectifying this however the simple method of simply changing the rope colour to cyan was used. The object form and placement remain unaltered where Matt placed it.
13. The 'double object' on The Beach was split into a single object and the 'extra' one was moved further down the beach into the 'waves'. The thought behind this is that way Willy is forced to use the conveyor to get that object.
14. The Conservatory Roof bug was fixed. The official Software Projects 'Fix' for this involves removing one fire cell so the object on the far right is just about reachable, however in practise is it almost impossible to collect them all without any life loss. After studying other variants of this screen, a different 'fix' was applied: The fire cells were moved into groups of two, followed by two objects, two more fire cells and finally two objects.
15. The issue where Willy can jump from the top of the Watch Tower (and ending up in The Off Licence as the 'Up' location is not defined) was fixed by simply shortening the ramp one block and moving the conveyor down one block. This fix is simple and it also means Willy cannot jump high enough to leave the screen via the top.
16. The concern where Willy can jump up from Dr Jones Will Never Believe This and end up hitting a fire cell in We Must Perform A Quirkafleeg was reduced by adding a fire cell to the top of the structure, making it very difficult for Willy to accidentally jump up and out of this screen in that manner and in addition the exit for 'up' from this screen was set to be the same screen so if Willy does manage to leave via the top, he will re-appear at the bottom of the screen.
17. The odd effect where Willy can jump through the top of Rescue Esmerelda and end up in The Ballroom was looked at. It's unclear if this was intentionally left in or an oversight however it did not make logical sense to allow Willy to 'teleport' in such a manner. The fix simply involves adding some earth cells to the top near the conveyor to prevent Willy from being able to exit the screen via jumping up. We gave some thought to using the empty room 47 here as The Belfry as per JSW2 but decided that would be an addition rather than a 'fix', something we wanted to avoid.
The download offers the following files:
Jetset_2015_Bugfixed_Tape.zip , containing both .tap and .tzx versions
Jetset_2015_Bugfixed_Microdrive.zip , an .mdr image for microdrive users
Jetset_2015_Bugfixed_Disk.zip , .dsk image of the tape file
Jetset Willy_BugFixed2015Edition_Speedlock_Loader.tzx , Speedlock1 based loader for real machines. 48K Mode only
JSW 2015 Bugfix.rzx , rzx recording of the game being played to completion courtesy of jetsetdanny
Jetset Willy 2015 Bug Fixed Edition With Cheats_V1.tzx , Speedlock1 based loader with a selection of cheats pre-applied