Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

"Reverse Manic Miner"

jetsetdanny

The TAP file of Andrew Broad's 2004 game "Manic Miner: Neighbours - Allana Truman" contains a secret bonus game "Reverse Manic Miner". It is a version of the classic where you play through the caverns in reverse order, starting in "The Final Barrier" and finishing in "The Central Cavern".

"Reverse Manic Miner" offers an interesting concept, a smart solution to some technical problems which arise with the transformation (thanks to a patch by John Elliott) and a slightly strange playing experience.

An RZX recording of the game can now be downloaded from The RZX Archive.

There is also an additional block of 64 bytes of data called "LordDance" within the TAP files of Andrew's "Party Willy" 48K (perhaps also the 128K version, I can't see it there, though). I don't know how to run it to see what it is. Any ideas?

Edited by jetsetdanny

After further investigation: the additional data is the tune of "Lord of the Dance" coded in the JSW48 format.

I don't know if it can be launched directly from "Party Willy" by pressing a secret key or something. So I have inserted the code into a file of the original JSW (from #865F to #869E, to make it the in-game tune). The result can be downloaded from here if anyone wants to listen to the tune.

I must say I like it a lot, it is a very nice rendition of "Lord of the Dance" which seems suitable and sounds good in JSW. Well done, Andrew! emo1.gif

Daniel

Thanks. :)

I did make a note to try to take a look at this but it slipped my mind. I guess the method you have chosen is probably what I would of tried anyway I guess, I suspect it may of been 'left in' rather than a way to directly access it though. Perhaps the same 'base' was used for several ? Might make sense as you can start with a preset 'blank' so to speak instead of the complete standard game.