Jump to content


Member Since 23 Aug 2015
Offline Last Active Mar 18 2018 09:18 PM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Fix for the 'Nine lives in the light' bug

18 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is no way in JSWED's GUI to edit the location of the 'entry point' of the solar beam in 'Solar Power Generator', for a file based on the Manic Miner game engine?


You can change the start of the beam, but you have to manually adjust the appropriate addresses in the hex editor (namely #8D74-5).


In contrast, in a room with a solar beam in a JSW64 game, there is an option to move the beam's starting point within the GUI.

In Topic: Comprehensive rewrite of Willy's movement code

18 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

Please find attached my recordings for the 'Before' and 'After' files. **SPOILER ALERT!**

Note that I've made several deliberate mistakes (sometimes fatally), in order to demonstrate what is and what isn't possible within the two variants of the game engine.


P.S. My collection method for the bottom-left item of The Attic in the 'Before' file is different to Danny's (note aslao that my method would work if the layout was laterally inverted, whereas Danny's wouldn't).

In Topic: Comprehensive rewrite of Willy's movement code

18 March 2018 - 01:49 PM

Ian, attached below is an RZX recording with the items you've mentioned collected in a different way than in my first recording. Please let me know if this is what you wanted to see :).


TBH, I'm not quite sure what you mean about the rightmost item in "Emergency Generator". It just sits on the floor, so there's no quirky manoeuvre involved in collecting it, it's just necessary to outmanoeuvre Esmerelda. In the attached recording I got to the vicinity of the item in a different way than in the previous one, but I'm not sure if this is the way you wanted the item to be collected.


EDIT: File name changed


attachicon.gifBefore Rewrite alternative item collection.rzx


Thanks Danny, and well done on finding most of the solutions.  However, there is a much quirkier method of sneaking past Esmerelda.



EDIT: I've made a slight rewording in the Spoiler box, for clarity.  (Technically, you can walk into Emergency Generator and then just walk straight back out again in both files!)


I'll make and upload my own recordings for both Before and After files later.

In Topic: Comprehensive rewrite of Willy's movement code

18 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

Preventing Maria from disappearing would make the game uncompletable (in terms of the stated 'mission statement' of cleaning up the house and then going to bed).  But making the toilet run conditional on not having used WRITETYPER would be a useful (and easily implemented) way of highlighting if someone has cheated.  :thumbsup:

In Topic: Idea for a new cell type in Manic Miner

18 March 2018 - 01:01 PM

In the original MM game engine, crumbling cells turn to Air as soon as the routine, after moving all the pixel-rows downwards, detects that the bottom pixel-row has no infilled pixels. So if any pixel-row other than the lowest one starts off empty, then the crumbly will crumble early. Furthermore, if any pixel-rows higher up in the block retain any infilled pixels, then they will remain as a 'ghost' within the newly created Air cell.

The rewrite of the crumbly routine means that all eight pixel-rows are checked simultaneously, so it eliminates the potential for 'ghost' pixels being left behind. However, you can still have fast-crumbling cells, and indeed Earth blocks that can disappear after Willy has headbutted them fewer than eight times, if some of the pixel-rows are blank from the beginning.

An INKless Earth block will turn to Air after a single headbutt, and indeed elsewhere I suggested that that could form the basis of a challenge where Willy must NOT butt a particular block, because he needs it still to be present later on (to jump off it in order to reach the portal).

The sound effect is executed on each instance of a pixel-row being displaced upwards (headbutt) or downwards (crumbly). So if Willy were to stand on an INKless crumbly, then you would hear a difference in the sound effect - it would be shorter, lasting for only one 'tick' of the Main Loop instead of eight.

By the way, there is also a noticeable intensification of the sound effect when Willy walks along a platform of several adjacent crumblies, compared with when he stands on a single crumbly block - because when he is standing on two adjacent crumblies, the sound effect is executed twice in each 'tick'. (Ditto when he headbutts two Earth blocks simultaneously.)