Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

My game - What a Wonderful World of Willie

Jet Set Willie

SymbolShift, I have experienced the same sprite corruption, if you are talking about the white guardian in the first room. :) It disappears for a fraction of a second, because there are two white guardians (both using the same sprites), to make that alcoholist not walk in a straight line. That effect was better originally, but it made the game hard, as first I was making this game just for me and I knew what to expect so it had to be hard. But after I decided to eventually publish this one day, I had to change it, as it would have made the game too hard for others.

But perhaps you mean those "lives left" sprites, as Norman also points to title screen. :) Those colour blocks on the bottom are for making lives left sprites more colourful. :)

I would like to hear more feedback, I don´t mind if you like my game or not. :) But of course it would be nice, if there are something what you like, as that means I have succeeded to bring some nice moments for you. :)

I didn´t aim to make an usual Willy game, more like a little unusual instead. About some things what I have added to my game, I don´t know if others have used the similar ideas (effects) previously, as I have mainly played Willy homebrews around 20 years ago or so. I have given just a quick look for the ones made in the last 10 years, it´s not that I don´t want to, but I am not in a good shape to concentrate to them better. That´s why I don´t know about the effects what others have made, except that one or few new games seem to have bi-colour guardians. As I haven´t read well or at all those topics, I had just thought that some coding was needed for those bi-colour guardians. There are few other things I have noticed, but I don´t remember them right now. It´s possible that I have invented the wheel few times during making my game. :D But that made the game making just more fun, as I had to try to think by myself different ways how to make something. :) I hope that at least some of you will play far enough to find them.

For some reason I can´t add any emoji graphics now, the emoji menu stays just empty.

1 hour ago, Jet Set Willie said:

SymbolShift, I have experienced the same sprite corruption, if you are talking about the white guardian in the first room. 🙂 It disappears for a fraction of a second, because there are two white guardians (both using the same sprites), to make that alcoholist not walk in a straight line. That effect was better originally, but it made the game hard, as first I was making this game just for me and I knew what to expect so it had to be hard. But after I decided to eventually publish this one day, I had to change it, as it would have made the game too hard for others.

But perhaps you mean those "lives left" sprites, as Norman also points to title screen. 🙂 Those colour blocks on the bottom are for making lives left sprites more colourful. 🙂

I would like to hear more feedback, I don´t mind if you like my game or not. 🙂 But of course it would be nice, if there are something what you like, as that means I have succeeded to bring some nice moments for you. 🙂

I didn´t aim to make an usual Willy game, more like a little unusual instead. About some things what I have added to my game, I don´t know if others have used the similar ideas (effects) previously, as I have mainly played Willy homebrews around 20 years ago or so. I have given just a quick look for the ones made in the last 10 years, it´s not that I don´t want to, but I am not in a good shape to concentrate to them better. That´s why I don´t know about the effects what others have made, except that one or few new games seem to have bi-colour guardians. As I haven´t read well or at all those topics, I had just thought that some coding was needed for those bi-colour guardians. There are few other things I have noticed, but I don´t remember them right now. It´s possible that I have invented the wheel few times during making my game. 😄 But that made the game making just more fun, as I had to try to think by myself different ways how to make something. 🙂 I hope that at least some of you will play far enough to find them.

For some reason I can´t add any emoji graphics now, the emoji menu stays just empty.

Yes, I was referring to "lives left" area at the bottom, I apologize for not being more specific. I have seen that area become corrupt before (finishing MM multiple times is a good example). Since it's intentional then I'm all for adding a splash of colour to the sprites which are often monochromatic 👍 I look forward to exploring more, since I only survived several screens on my first few attempts 😂 By the way, great job on the game!!

Posted (edited)

Thank you SymbolShift. 🙂

I didn´t know that about Manic Miner bottom area as I haven´t played to that far (survived...😄).

As I had to make last minute fixes and Danny kindly made a last minute fix I was asking for, I had to play the game through once again and I had to keep trying in some rooms to pass through them even it´s my game! 😂 I have intentionally made the rooms a bit "hard" as this JSW game is not meant for kids anymore, as we aren´t kids anymore. And as many players here are JSW and MM experts, their skills are probably far above mine 😆 so I had to add a bit "hardness" to my game to prevent dullness. 🙂

That´s the reason I added infinite lives Poke from Richard Hallas´ game Join the Jet-Set! to bring anyone a chance to finish my game if they want to. 🙂 Thank you again, Richard!

But please try without that Poke first,

Spoiler

otherwise you will miss the game over.
😉

Edited by Jet Set Willie

On 9/6/2024 at 12:34 PM, Norman Sword said:

Game speed has no effect on the title tunes for MM or JSW

Game speed has no effect on spot effects such as item collection sounds (jsw or moded MM) the arrows (JSW) the boot falling, 

Game speed has no effect on the notes played for the in game tune. e.g. the pitch of those clicks will stay exactly the same. It will however increase the tempo to match the new playing speed.

Game speed has no effect on the pitch of the effect played when Willy jumps or falls. The tempo of the effect will reflect the change in speed.

In short the pitch of sound effects is not governed by the speed of play. Since all the effects actually suspend the game whilst the effect is played.

For me, personally, the fact that the tempo of the music is increased when the game speed is increased is actually a serious problem.

The in-game tunes plays faster once the whole game runs faster. In many cases, it ruins the in-game tune listening experience.

It's probably OK if the increase in the speed of the in-game tune is moderate, say, 20 or 30%. However, if the speed is doubled, you are listening to a tune that was meant to be played at a certain speed playing twice as fast. This is not good at all.

Think of it in real-life terms. Music is recorded at a certain speed at which it's meant to be listened. If that speed is changed, it doesn't sound as good. Would you listen to a commercially-recorded song - any song - at double speed? It would sound funny, or plain horrible. 'Voiceless' music (which is what we get in MM and JSW) is perhaps more forgiving but still - it's no fun to listen to instrumental music at twice the speed (or even 150% of the speed) at which it was meant to be listened to.

The same goes for the MM and JSW tunes as far as I'm concerned. This is one of the reasons why I'm not a great fan of games that have been sped up too much.

Please note this is just a personal opinion, and it's not criticism of what people have done to speed JSW games up. I do appreciate the coding knowledge and abilities that have gone into achieving a faster game speed. However, the side effect of speeding the game in the form of the in-game tune playing too fast is a serious drawback for me.

6 hours ago, jetsetdanny said:

It will however increase the tempo to match the new playing speed.

You´re right, Danny! I somehow understood that wrong.

I would like to try to speed-up my game anyway, just to see how it affects the playing, as my game certainly has some ´speed-down´ in it. For that reason, perhaps this speed-up will suit to my game? Though, it will affect that certain effect what I had added there. 😳

I don´t know if there are any JSW or MM games with such ´speed-down´ feature. Are there any?

Spider, how I can add it to my game?

Danny does raise some good points about the in-game tune being altered by this, similar perhaps to running your emulator at say 150%

Some tunes do sound better with a bit of an increase in speed but not that many, I do think a 10% to 30% increase may not ruin it much (see the MM file I posted in the optimisation topic) ?

J S W , I did provide instructions but I'd have to find them or write them out again, its not difficult and its actually in my head 🙂