SUPPORT TOPIC File Information
- Submitted: May 23 2019 12:44 AM
- Last Updated: Nov 17 2019 12:56 AM
- File Size: 38.09KB
- Views: 300
- Downloads: 9
- System: Sinclair
- Original Author(s): Matthew Smith
- Third Party Author(s): Mark Crawford and R. Kay, Daniel Gromann
Download Jet Set Willy - The Softricks editor version
READY-TO-PLAY FILE OF THE SOFTRICKS EDITOR VERSION OF "JET SET WILLY"
Jet Set Willy Editor MkII by Mark Crawford and R. Kay (Softricks, 1984) contains two sample rooms: "The Moat" (47) and "The Vault" (61). The Softricks game engine is different from standard "JSW" - it has a double-length Guardian Class Table (with consequent relocation of the Item Table and toilet sprite), a demo mode after the title-screen scrolly, and it shows the title screen each time you lose a life. John Elliott has analysed the Softricks engine for technical details of these changes and described them on his website. In the editor, there are also minimal changes in a couple of the original rooms.
If "JSW" is saved from Jet Set Willy Editor MkII without any changes, the sample rooms are inaccessible without cheating, and so the player cannot enjoy them. Therefore, a special version of JSW was created when the individual page of this variant was created on JSW Central, which makes these two rooms accessible and necessary to visit to complete the game, without introducing any changes (apart from a custom loading screen) beyond the minimum necessary to accomplish this goal and make the game completable.
This version was created in the following way:
- A copy of Jet Set Willy Editor MkII downloaded from World of Spectrum was loaded into John Elliott's JSWED 2.3.7, which imported the "JSW" game from the editor.
- Two of the four official Software Projects POKEs were applied (#DE2C,04 and #EB47,00) to make the game completable. The third POKE, which moves the "First Landing" item to "The Hall", was also applied, but modified (#FEC7,0B), as the Item Table is relocated in this version. It was not necessary to apply the fourth POKE, which fixes the faulty arrow in "The Attic", because both arrows are removed from "The Attic" in the Softricks editor.
- A passage to/from "The Moat" (47) was opened at the lower right of "The Off Licence" (00).
- A passage to/from "The Vault" (61) was opened at the lower right of "Tree Root" (46).
- Room exits were adjusted accordingly in these four rooms.
- An item was added to "The Moat" in order to make it necessary for the player to visit this room.
- An item was added to "The Vault" in order to make it necessary for the player to visit this room; the item's original shape was reflected horizontally for aesthetic reasons.
- A custom BASIC loader was created using Claus Jahn's ZX-Editor.
- The final game file was created using Claus Jahn's ZX-Blockeditor and saved in both TAP and TZX formats.
I did mean to make this ZIP available for download here ever since I created the individual page of this version of the game on JSW Central back in March 2018, but it slipped my mind - I've just remembered it was one of the things I planned to do. So here it is .
Other files you may be interested in ..
8 user(s) are online (in the past 60 minutes)
0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users