• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:30 PM

There is a relatively new Spanish remake of "Manic Miner", called "Jet Set Luis: Rumbo a la Costa Blanca" (Jet Set Luis: On the Way to Costa Blanca), made by three ZX Spectrum fans from Albacete (Álvaro, David and Felipe, I coudn't find their last names) calling themselves "Softwarecete".

According to the manual included in the game's ZIP file, its goal is "to guide Luis (aka Luisdel), during one week of his life, helping him dodge everyday hazards, while collecting those items which are useful to him, or simply make life worthwhile, so that he can achieve his much-desired goal of enjoying the weekend with his girlfriend in Costa Blanca." The game is gentle and easy to play.

"Jet Set Luis" has a beautiful title screen and all the sprites have been modified. According to a comment posted by its authors on El Mundo del Spectrum, it was made using a number of "techniques performed with emulators for the PC (zx32 and Eighty-one), working with programs like Melbourne Draw (for graphic design), Graphics Searcher and Recorder by Microhobby, ManicDesigner2, etc., and banging in numerous POKEs to modify the game's variables". Judging by this description, they didn't use JSWED, which would imply to me that they are not aware of the existence of this basic tool for JSW *and* MM editing.

The review on El Mundo del Spectrum, published by Alejandro Ibáñez on 31 August 2015, has a nice paragraph, which I am going to quote (translated into English), because I like it:

"You will agree that many of us had artistic restlessness. We made our own Microhobbies, with a ballpoint pen on graph paper, trying to emulate the drawings of [Alfonso] Azpiri or [Raul] Ponce, we made our own radio programs on tapes or we tried to sound like our favourite singer. All these activities were lost in the rain, under the pressure of mundane duties, which end up shaping our adult personality, while at the same time sacrificing the potential and spirit of that child which each of us was. Nevertheless, occasionally some people manage to fulfil their artistic restlessness. I admire them."

"Jet Set Luis" has the year 2014 shown in the scrolling message and printed on its cover, but I can't find any references to it on the web back in 2014. It was presented at the RetroAlba event in Albacete in February 2015.

The game can be downloaded from here.

The screenshots of all rooms can be viewed on JSW Central, an RZX walkthrough can be downloaded from the RZX Archive and a map - from Speccy Screenshot Maps.

Unfortunately, "Jet Set Luis" seems to suffer from a critical bug in the last room "En el Postiguet con la Jet Set" (On El Postiguet beach with the Jet Set): Luis is killed repeatedly on entrance. I don't think it's intentional, judging by the description in the manual: "The warm sands of El Postiguet beach, the meeting place with the Levantine Jet Set, are a perfect culmination of Luis's week, accompanied by his Pall Mall (the longer, the better) and his girlfriend. But before he can kiss her, he must avoid the last dangers of his adventure: the feckless swimmers and the lurking beach boys. After a perfect weekend, at 21 degrees Centigrade, the week will start again..."

I will try contacting Softwarecete to tell them about the bug and ask them about the exact release date of "Jet Set Luis" to add to Chronology on JSW Central. I will let you know if I they get back to me.

Edited by jetsetdanny, 04 February 2016 - 03:39 PM.

#2 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,903 posts

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Great. :) Thanks for the information.

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#3 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 08:36 PM

I am very pleased to say that the creators of "Jet Set Luis" responded to my private message immediately and answered all my questions.  :) 

The people behind Softwarecete (tu software de Albacete) are: Álvaro Richarte Banegas (Gusanez), Felipe Aguilar Picazo (Gamusino) and David Sánchez Robles (Kaotiko).

They were indeed unaware of the existence of JSWED, this forum or the Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy Yahoo! Group when they created the game. 

The game was developed in 2014 and presented publicly for the first time at the RetroAlba event in Albacete. So its "official" release date is 8 February 2015.

The game is *not* meant to kill Luis on the last screen. It's a bug, which the creators of the game will try to correct. If anyone knows what causes the problem (and how to fix it), please post about it here, or let me know directly, or let Softwarecete know (their e-mail address is in the ZIP with the game files, in the subfolder called "Cartel", in the Cartel_85x200_06_con cigarro.jpg picture).

The members of the Softwarecete team have also taken part in the creation of a short film ¿Jugamos al Spectrum?" (Producciones Gamusino, 2013, in Spanish), which can be watched here. It was directed by Felipe Aguilar Picazo. Álvaro and David contributed to some of its technical aspects and also appear there as "supporting actors". Furthermore, the members of the Softwarecete team belong to a music group called Seven Blas, which contributed to the film's soundtrack.

Edited by jetsetdanny, 05 February 2016 - 09:06 PM.

#4 andrewbroad

andrewbroad

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 01:04 AM

It looks to me like a guardian is colliding with the pixels for the picture that appears in the upper eight character-rows of the title screen and of Room 19.

If this is indeed the case, then the three possible solutions would be:

(a) to edit or delete the offending guardian;

(b) to clear enough pixels from the picture to accommodate the guardian;

(c) to patch the Manic Miner game engine so that guardians collide with the pixels of the player only.

Edited by andrewbroad, 06 February 2016 - 01:05 AM.

Dr Andrew Broad

#5 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:03 AM

Thanks for this, Andrew.

I've also had a go at solving the problem, and it is indeed the vertical guardian which is causing it.

A solution to it is to edit the guardian's range and starting position. The following POKEs do the trick:

In Decimal:

or in Hex:
#FEDD,05
#FEDF,40
#FEE2,40
#FEE3,50

I'll let Softwarecete know about it and I hope they will release a bug-fixed version of "Jet Set Luis" soon :).

#6 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,098 posts

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

I am thrilled to announce that Álvaro, David and Felipe from Softwarecete (tu software de Albacete) have relaunched their MM game "Jet Set Luis: Rumbo a la Costa Blanca". Please download it directly from http://www.jswcentra...aunched2016.zip or visit the game's webpage on JSW Central, where you can see the download link as "Official release files".

The game is bug-free now TTBOMK. The critical bug on the last screen "En el Postiguet con la Jet Set" has been corrected (in JSWED, by changing the range of the vertical guardian) as well as the non-critical screen corruption in room 7 "Quemadito Jefe de Area", the latter thanks to the solution supplied by Dr Andrew Broad in his document "Technical Notes on Manic Miner: Neighbours - Allana Truman (MM:N-AT)".

So you can finally play "Jet Set Luis" to completion and see Luisdel get together with his girlfriend for the weekend in Costa Blanca. It's a beautiful game, so download and enjoy! :)

Daniel

Edited by jetsetdanny, 19 February 2016 - 08:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users