Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Moving Items - idea for a Patch Vector

IRF

Has anyone ever tried to implement moving collectable items in a particular room, by altering the item definition bytes in the Item Table?

e.g. if the lowest five bits of the second byte of a particular item's definition was updated, let's say every four time-frames (use the output of applying an AND $FC gate to the 'tick' counter), then the horizontal position of the item on the screen could be adjusted (in whatever way you saw fit) every time Willy's extra lives sprites moved on one 'dance step' (in the example).

Edited by IRF

You could base the item's position on Willy's coordinates in the attribute buffer - it could be set to stubbornly hover above Willy's head, rising up as he tries to jump up to collect it!  (Then the way to collect it could be via an Arrow - Willy would have to time his jump precisely, so that the Arrow hits the item but not Willy's head!)

This did actually happen whilst i was playing with the Attic bug in place, after hanging around in 'We Must Perform A Quirkafleeg' for a minute or two i ventured to Willy's Yacht, the room was largely intact apart from the flag which had turned to a psychedelic flashing jelly moving sideways across the bottom, oddly, willy could only collect half of it. I've tried to replicate this again so i could RZX it but so far without success

Edited by Metalmickey

I think that a kind of 'Butterfly Effect' occurs once the Attic Bug kicks in, with corruption being heaped upon corruption, and code overspill taking place right across the game engine.  It seems very unpredictable, and almost impossible to replicate from one occasion to the next. :wacko:

Edited by IRF

I am but a mere amateur when it comes to speccy code but i would imagine that notwithstanding the effects of the attic bug, surely this would involve altering a big part of the heart of the game engine itself; i've come to the understanding that from looking at the source code there would have to be a major alteration of the routine that tells Willy what is harmful, what can be walked on and what can be collected perhaps this is probably quite far removed from what Matty had in mind but then who knows .. of course i could be wrong, and i would like to be proven wrong by seeing a demonstration from any soul who would have the time, energy and knowhow 

Edited by Metalmickey