Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

Some Manic Miner Remake

Ligan

I'm just gonna drop this here. It's an edited version of the original MM, like MM3 and MM5, the graphics and enemies haven't been modified. MMHARD.z80

Cavern Names :

1. The Pyramid Entrance

2. The Melting Iceberg

3. The Collapsed Plains

4. The Dried-Up Aquifer

5. The Plumbing Store

6. The Cloning Facility

7. The VAT

8. United Kongdom Customs

9. The Germopharmacy

10. The Apple Orchard

11. Finding the Perfect Insurance

12. The Pronce's Palace

13. And Down the Trash Chute...

14. Space Game Tutorial Level

15. The Art Gallery

17. The Factory

18. Ameobological Site

19. Localizing Ray Deflector

20. The Pharaoh Gravestone

Edited by Ligan

Great stuff Ligan. :D

Thank you for this submission.

I hope you don't mind but I've added it to the downloads system:

Manic Miner Hard

I've built a tape file version with a (semi) custom loading screen too for it to go along with the said game tape file, so now there's the  supplied .z80 and the .tap tape file too which makes it convenient. I've also collected screenshots and added those too. :)

The submission is in your username so this means you're free to edit or update it if required. It generates an automatic topic here however if you did wish to edit anything edit the download itself, not the topic as the topic will be automatically updated to reflect the download description. :)

I'm not aware of the author of it at this moment in time either. Its possible one of our knowledgeable members will recognise this variant however.

Edited by Spider

As mentioned in my post above, I completed the game yesterday. It was a great pleasure to play it, because it is full of very smart arrangements of blocks (Cells), which make the way to complete many of the rooms not obvious at all. I mean, it is not immediately apparent which route the player should take, and when you just "dive into" a room without any reflection and try to solve it as you go, you find that you can't do it this way and you have to go back to the start of the room (which I was able to do thanks to using the Rollback feature in the ZX Spin emulator) and take another route. I really appreciated various arrangements which made me go back and think again about which route to take :). This is a great asset of the game, IMO, which makes it technically much more interesting than some of the other, earlier MM remakes mentioned in this thread. Some modifications to sprites and item shapes (and the title screen tune) are also good.

The recording of my walkthrough can now be downloaded from the RZX Archive or viewed on its YouTube channel. However, I would strongly encourage everyone to play the game themselves first, before watching the recording, as it's really a lot of fun :). The game is more challenging than many other MM remakes, but at the same time not as hard as "Manic Scribbler", which I believe to be the hardest MM game ever created, or most of Andrew Broad's MM games.

So Ligan, congratulations on this fine creation!  :D (if it is indeed your work, as I believe it to be). I would like to add the game to the list of MM games on my JSW Central website and so I have some questions in order to make the information which will be placed there as correct as possible:

- Is it OK to quote the name of the game as "Manic Miner Hard" (which would be my preference), or should it be just "MM Hard" (or perhaps "MMHard", as in the name of the Z80 file you uploaded)?

- Could you please kindly confirm that you are the author of "Manic Miner Hard"? If so, would you like to be credited with anything else other than "Ligan"? (such as your real name or whatever else you prefer). If not, could you please let us know who the author is?

- I believe that in Chronology I should mention 6th August 2017 as the date of the gamma-release of the game. Is this correct? Has the game been released somewhere else before here by any chance?

I guess that would be all as far as JSW Central is concerned. I just want to say once again that I really enjoyed playing your game, that it was a lovely surprise to see this game appear out of the blue, and that I look forward to any further MM or JSW redesigns you may create. Is there any chance this will actually happen? :)

Edited by jetsetdanny

Hello, I'd like to thank you all for the support, I am relieved to hear that you like this edit :)

I also wanted to confirm that I did "make" the variant. I edited it on JSWED, which I think caused the glitch where the lighthouse's wheels disappear in last cavern. 

(...)

Some modifications to sprites and item shapes (and the title screen tune) are also good.

(...)

- Is it OK to quote the name of the game as "Manic Miner Hard" (which would be my preference), or should it be just "MM Hard" (or perhaps "MMHard", as in the name of the Z80 file you uploaded)?

(...)

I'm a little confused about that part in parentheses, as I haven't changed the tune.

- I've never really though of the name of the game so "Manic Miner Hard" is fine, although I find it a little boring. How about "Manic Miner : Tales of the Perils of an Alternate LSD 2" ? :P.

(...)

- Could you please kindly confirm that you are the author of "Manic Miner Hard"? If so, would you like to be credited with anything else other than "Ligan"? (such as your real name or whatever else you prefer). If not, could you please let us know who the author is?

(...)

- As for credits, I'd prefer to be credited as "LiganTM" (not a trademark, it's just my username on some other websites).

(...)

- I believe that in Chronology I should mention 6th August 2017 as the date of the gamma-release of the game. Is this correct? Has the game been released somewhere else before here by any chance?

I guess that would be all as far as JSW Central is concerned. I just want to say once again that I really enjoyed playing your game, that it was a lovely surprise to see this game appear out of the blue, and that I look forward to any further MM or JSW redesigns you may create. Is there any chance this will actually happen? :)

- This is the first (and only) place where I've shown the game, however before calling it a gamma-release, I'd like to tweak some things in it (nothing gameplay changing, so your walkthrough will still be 100% accurate)

Lastly, to answer the last question, I have tried making a few remakes in the past, but most of them have nothing worthy in them. :/

Edited by Ligan