• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:20 PM

The 35th birthday of "Jet Set Willy" will be celebrated at PLAY Expo in Manchester this weekend, with the presence of Matthew Smith, the UK premiere of "WILLY: 48K About A Legend" – a short animated film by Paolo Santagostino, and a JSW48 mod competition.

I will be at the Manchester PLAY Expo wearing a black T-shirt with the figure of Willy and the address of JSW Central. Please say hi if you see me - it will be nice to meet you in person  :) .

Daniel

#2 IRF

IRF

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:55 PM

Enjoy!

#3 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

Thanks, Ian!

Yesterday was a great day, with the JSW event, premiere of Paolo Santagostino’s film, Q & A session with Matthew Smith and the mod contest. It was great to meet several people active on the scene I had previously been in contact with but never met (Daren Pearce, Richard Hallas, Edward Martland) and to meet Matthew Smith, of course, and Paolo, and Paul Drury and others.

“Maria vs. Some Bastards” won the context quite decisively, with 40 plus votes versus 20 plus for the game that came second (which I believe was “Join the Jet-Set!”, I’m not 100 percent sure though).

I have taken a lot of pictures, but I cannot transfer them from the camera right now, but I will take some now with my phone and upload them here :).

#4 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:35 PM

Ok, here’s some almost real time photos for you :)

EDIT: I took some photos on the phone just to be able to upload them here, but they are taking forever when uploading and I don’t know how to resize them using the phone, so it will have to wait until I’m back home...

Edited by jetsetdanny, 05 May 2019 - 01:38 PM.

#5 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 01:43 PM

That's excellent to read Danny! :D Good to know too you managed to meet a few 'new in person' people too, always a plus.

Do you know if a transcript of Matt's QA session will be available if not a video ?

I wanted to attend myself as you know but unfortunately things made that impossible. Maybe in a year or three! :)

Photo's: Excellent again I was going to hope you'd be willing to post a few, so we'll await what you wish to share. :thumbsup:

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#6 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 05 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

I am not sure, but I imagine a video of the whole event should be put online. There was a camera filming it, I believe. I would like to listen to Matthew’s answers again myself, as I didn’t manage to understand every word of what he was saying (although I got the general meaning).

At some point he said he didn’t play Spectrum games any more. Also, before the session, when I was able to speak to him briefly and mentioned JSW Central, he said he had never visited it. I wondered whether to ask him a question about JSW remakes (mods) during the Q&A session, but there were a lot of people asking questions and with his previous replies it seemed to me that it didn’t really matter, because he wouldn’t be particularly familiar with the phenomenon anyway, or care too much about it, for that matter.

#7 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Danny. :)

I only wondered about the QA (I dare say if there was it will appear somewhere anyway) as the one at Acorn where Steve Furber did his speech/QA explaining the birth of the BBC Micro etc there was a video or three of that.

I think its still excellent you managed to meet "the man himself" although I dare say he's always being asked about JSW and MM things so its not too surprising (I don't mean it in a negative way at all) he had not visited your site and I'd say with 99% certainty he's likely not seen this one either or perhaps that darnkitty one either. It does not matter that much in the 'greater scheme of things' as I'm sure if/when he did want to look online at JSW/MM things he'll discover quite a bit. :) :)

#8 andrewbroad

andrewbroad

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 10:05 PM

^ Steve Furber was one of my lecturers at the University of Manchester [CS1211 Processor Design].

Dr Andrew Broad

#9 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:27 PM

^ Steve Furber was one of my lecturers at the University of Manchester [CS1211 Processor Design].

Excellent. :)

I was not able to go to the Acorn specific talk however I did see various videos of it as well as a lot of the 'pics at the show' etc. From listening to him he's a very clever chap and it seemed most happy to answer people's questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users