28 replies to this topic

#21 IRF

IRF

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

Congratulations Danny!

One minor thing has struck me, looking at the screenshots - the quiz questions seem to span across the bottom row(s) of the middle third of the screen and the top row(s) of the bottom third. This causes a slightly odd effect on the Game Over screens whereby the end of the previous question is still present above the 'plinth', whilst the start of the question has been overwritten.

It might have looked better if, at the onset of the Game Over routine, the upper character row(s) of the bottom third of the screen had been overwritten with blank characters (or else had INK set to Black in order to match the PAPER colour, thereby making the remaining text of the question invisible), but I suppose it's too late to do anything about it now?

Anyway, I'm being picky (and I don't really have a right to be, considering I haven't found time to engage with the project prior to this point) - congratulations again on this latest JSW milestone!

Edited by IRF, 31 December 2016 - 12:43 AM.

#22 IRF

IRF

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:48 AM

This causes a slightly odd effect on the Game Over screens whereby the end of the previous question is still present above the 'plinth'

Sorry, of course that should have read "below the plinth"!

#23 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:53 AM

Thanks, Ian!

Yes, it's true that parts of the questions get overwritten, if the question has more than one line.

I've never paid much attention to it. Perhaps you're right that it's odd, I'm not sure. The pointer gets squashed, a part of the question gets squashed. Oh well, that's what happens when it's Game Over... or Time Up!  ;)

• IRF likes this

#24 IRF

IRF

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 12:59 AM

Admittedly, I've only observed it thus far as a static screenshot, not as a dynamic screen effect. It probably doesn't look as odd when you're playing the game!

In a similar vein, I was never a fan of the previous room name remaining in situ during the Game Over sequence in the original JSW, although I guess that's a matter of taste.

#25 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:03 AM

I kind of reminds you of where you've lost the game, doesn't it?

I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just that it's a sad reminder of the location of one's failure...

#26 IRF

IRF

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:13 AM

I suppose so. However, in 'Mini' I think* I've added a command at the start of the Game Over routine which blanks out the room name line.

(*I'll check when I resume work on the project - hopefully in the coming few days!)

Edited by IRF, 31 December 2016 - 01:14 AM.

#27 Spider

Spider

DEC (HL)

• Administrator
  • 2,777 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 04:46 PM

Great stuff. :D

Changing order to chaos since 1984

#28 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 06:17 PM

Thanks!  :D

#29 jetsetdanny

jetsetdanny

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:15 PM

"Willy Games: The First 30 Years Quiz" now has an updated individual page on JSW Corner. It can be downloaded from there, just like from its individual page on JSW Central  :) .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users