Jet Set Willy & Manic Miner Community

"Willy Games: The First 30 Years Quiz"

jetsetdanny

Congratulations Danny!

One minor thing has struck me, looking at the screenshots - the quiz questions seem to span across the bottom row(s) of the middle third of the screen and the top row(s) of the bottom third. This causes a slightly odd effect on the Game Over screens whereby the end of the previous question is still present above the 'plinth', whilst the start of the question has been overwritten.

It might have looked better if, at the onset of the Game Over routine, the upper character row(s) of the bottom third of the screen had been overwritten with blank characters (or else had INK set to Black in order to match the PAPER colour, thereby making the remaining text of the question invisible), but I suppose it's too late to do anything about it now?

Anyway, I'm being picky (and I don't really have a right to be, considering I haven't found time to engage with the project prior to this point) - congratulations again on this latest JSW milestone!

Edited by IRF

Thanks, Ian!

Yes, it's true that parts of the questions get overwritten, if the question has more than one line.

I've never paid much attention to it. Perhaps you're right that it's odd, I'm not sure. The pointer gets squashed, a part of the question gets squashed. Oh well, that's what happens when it's Game Over... or Time Up!  ;)

Admittedly, I've only observed it thus far as a static screenshot, not as a dynamic screen effect. It probably doesn't look as odd when you're playing the game!

In a similar vein, I was never a fan of the previous room name remaining in situ during the Game Over sequence in the original JSW, although I guess that's a matter of taste.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

It has now been more than six and a half years since "Willy Games: The First 30 Years Quiz" was released. Everyone interested has had ample time to have a go at the quiz.

I wonder how many people have tried it and if anyone has actually completed it. I have a strong suspicion that nobody has (even though it can be easily completed using "brute force" - by trial-and-error); I would love it to be proven wrong.

In any case, I decided it's time the questions and correct answers were revealed. No more mysteries or uncertainty. You can now see the screenshots of all of the Quiz's screens (effectively, the questions) at the game's page on JSW Central. You can also watch my walkthrough of the game on the JSW Central YouTube channel. This video was made from a recording made specially for the purpose of showing it on YouTube, i.e. recorded at a leisurely, viewer-friendly pace, allowing the viewer enough time to read all of the questions before the correct answer is selected. Furthermore, I have recorded a "speedrun" through the quiz (to demonstrate the best completion time), and you can download that RZX recording from the the game's page on JSW Central (it shows the quiz completed with 102 minutes remaining, i.e. during 18 in-game minutes).

I just want to add that it's now been ten years since the cutoff date of the quiz (2013). I'm very pleased to say that, after the "inactive" year 2014 (when no new MM or JSW games or versions were released TTBOMK), a lot has happened on the scene and it is still very much alive. In fact, 2023 should go down in JSW history as a very exceptional year. We have already had several quality releases: "Manic Jet Set Willy" v. 3.00 and 3.01, "AmAZiNG WiLLY" v. 3, "WiLLY iN ThE MiRRoRVeRSE" v. 2 and "Jet Set Willy: Role Reversal", plus the new, fixed versions of "Manic Miner 128" and "Jet Set Willy: Key Code Edition", and there is more to come... 🙂

Hopefully, there will be plenty of material for quiz questions by the time "Willy Games: The Second 30 Years Quiz" is to be released in 2045 or thereabouts 😁